Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

SEITZ BOOKS, BOOKS ON JEWELING "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I would be interested in PDF's, pamphlets, and all books on the subjects of Using the Seith Tool and Jeweling. I am doing jeweling (The real jeweling, )not just replacing the setting with one from, a scrap unit but actually replacing the jewel stone in the setting. I have discovered a way to buff the inner hole of the jewel so its ready for a nice pinion. Let me know what you know about jeweling.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Patrick, I don't have anything to contribute, but I have interested in learning how to replace a jewel in a setting, I would be interested in anything you turn up on the subject.
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Gary, I can verbally run you through it but would like to have the literature in any form. Just like pressing out the jewel setting in a staff jewel you place the setting on the anvil (Proper tools being used) and press the actual jewel out of the setting. Depending on how it comes out you may need to ream the hole a tad bit. The jewel should be about 1/2 a thousands larger than the setting and press it in. Use proper tools or you may get the jewel cocked in the hole without knowing it and the pinion will ride to one side if it turns at all. There are some very low quality jewels out there so before you buy the handful from E Bay ask where they came from. Some wont last 6 months. Use Ruby if you can. The others are too soft. Use the proper jewel, either a foundation jewel or a balance jewel. Make sure the old and new jewels are the same. Some being chamfered and some being squared off or flat on both sides.
Between Fried's book and De Carle's there is information on Jeweling.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Patrick,
I got chapters 12&13, my inbox was too full to hold 14, could you resend it. Thanks
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Hi Patrick
a pdf of Seitz friction jeweling tool has been despatched at great cost to the ihc management.

Seitz Jeweling Manual

rgds

Posts: 30 | Location: Queensland in Australia | Registered: May 09, 2013
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks Malcolm for directing Patrick to just one of the many John D. Duvall's "HELPING HAND TUTORIALS" where there is a wealth of information!

Additionally, one of the great assets of our site is the "Find Or Search" feature which will bring up previous discussions relating to a specific topic.

Smile

Posts: 5232 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
I have that, thank you. What I am looking for is a third party book or manual on the subject of jeweling with the Seitz unit. I also have De Carl's and Fried s books. Seitz's book is more like an advertising manual including what the tool does more than a, a -z on actually installing or changing jewels.
Thanks all for you help and efforts.