Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Stuck two piece bezel question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
This watch is a two piece case.
So, while trying to get the bezel off I glued it to this board, but now the very inner ring where the crystal seats is turning inside the bezel, and the back and bezel are still stuck.

What kind of mess have I got now and how do I get it apart?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
For further identification, this watch is marked Brevet. Don't know what's inside. I've never seen a two piece bezel?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
And finally, (with wood and glue residue).

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It is a "Gun Metal" cased "popular priced" watch. Possibly cylinder movement. Nice Period Pinup.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Dave,
But, how do I get it apart?

Dave Turner

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Dave, I'm not familiar with a 2 piece bezel, but here's a thought. Going with your attempt at gluing a piece of wood, if you were to drill a hole in your board using a hole saw about the diameter of the bezel outer edge, and try the glue trick again. Good luck.
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Dave, what kind of glue are you using?

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Super glue. I've used it before to get backs off, but there's very little surface to grab on the bezel and it's curved at that.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1541
posted
As Gary suggested, use a Forstner or spade bit to drill a bit of a depression in some wood then use a hot glue gun.

I have done it without the drilling but it's easy to get too much glue and make a big mess.

When you have them apart apply a bit of lacquer thinner/acetone and after soaking for a few minutes it will release the bezel.

posted
Dave,

I usually use hot glue.

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks guys,
I'll give it a try.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Well, that didn't work. Either I don't know what I'm doing, (which is a big possibility), or I need a plan B.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1541
posted
Why didn't it work?

IHC Life Member
posted
Dave, in your top photo (back view) I seem to see a seam going around the case. Are you positive the back doesn't screw off???

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Lorne, After at least three attempts, but watch broke loose from the glue, but remained on the board. I did notice each time that the glue was dark and discolored, removing old rust, glue and residue.
I then actually buffed the case somewhat on a wire wheel to remove some of the rust, and the next time the glue was still discolored.

I may try it again.?

Bruce, I've looked at it very closely and see only one seam on the case, at the bezel. The stem also will not pull out to set the watch, but the watch does actually run for a short period. It's also fully wound or will not wind at all.
And I still don't understand why the thin brass ring that holds the crystal will rotate in the bezel?

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Backside

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
And here's the (glue stick) after the last time.

Dave Turner

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
you sure is not press/snap on case?
I will dig out the one that I have and look .

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Peter, No, I'm not sure. I'd love to see one disassembled.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Peter, You're the Man! It is.
Now for the next dumb question.... How do I remove the movement?

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1541
posted
Good call Peter.

I would have thought the bezel would at least rotate even with it being a snap on.

I can understand why the crown won't pull up.

Are those screws of some sort at 7 & 8, perhaps holding on some sort of retaining ring?

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I am fairly sure this watch is a "erotic rotating automaton". The back picture rotates and is "riskee". They usually have a rotating picture dial on the back that has 4 different pictures of lasses in various attire or lack of.

They are fairly expensive, best leave it alone if you don't believe you know enough to proceed, it does have some issues with a lot of rust.....

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Got it! Thanks to all of you guys.

This is a swiss Colibri. Whatever that is.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Buster, I did see one on ebay rather pricey.
It came apart without any further damage except for a lot of rust. Can't believe it still runs!

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
side view

Dave Turner

posted
Believe it its Colibri watch .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
With some care, that should clean up.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Dave,
I think so too. Unfortunately the little glass window on the back is gone. Wonder where I could ever find that part? And some hands. So far, all I've done is loosen the set screw for the stem, which I was afraid would be stuck. The worst rust is right at the stem. The rest looks very decent.

Dave Turner

posted
I got small glass cabinet, measure and let me know the dia.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Including the brass mounting ring it would be apx 18mm.
Don't know how I would mount it without the ring.??

Here's a borrowed picture.

Dave Turner