Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Stuck two piece bezel question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
turn the ring from brass will be what I will do first.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Cleaned up and running. Now I need some hands a crystal and the back crystal.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Dial side -

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Nice!

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
This is a great running little watch.
Does anyone want to fit some hands and crystal for me?

Dave Turner

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Amazing transformation!!!! Eek

Regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
what is the size of front glass?

IHC Member 1736
posted
Great job Dave,

Interesting little watch, thank you for sharing it with us. Paul-T

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Member 1892
posted
Nice job on the clean up Dave. Look forward to seeing it completed. If for some reason Peter cannot come up with a crystal for the back. (I am sure he will) I can help you out.

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks guys,
I'll try to get the measurements, but be forewarned: my measuring skills are questionable. I gave up on trying to replace crystals myself. They never fit! Confused

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Here's what I have based on my measurements, (which translates = close!)
Crystal 41.5mm
backside viewing port, including brass ring 18mm

hour hand .077" 1.9558mm
minute hand .0283 .71882mm
second hand maybe .5mm

I'd like to farm this job out.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Did ya get the rotating back scenes disk in place and does it work/rotate correctly ?

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Yes sir, it does.

This was a fairly simple task, once I was sure that disc was just press fit over the pivot post.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Great, well get Peter to turn you a brass insert and fit the two crystals and you should have a $1K watch. Now if the disk paintings were somewhat more "revealing" and were still sharp, you would have a $2K watch !! Retail figures of course...

Those gun metal cases can be polished and re-blued with a good quality over the counter cold blue liquid application that is used on guns.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1725
posted
Nice job Dave!

Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Sounding good. I've found one example for sale on the net for $1950 or best offer, but I don't know how realistic that is, and have seen no others to compare it to.

Here's the back, but the case obviously needs attention.

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Good news! Found the back bezel and crystal!

I knew it was there when My brother in law gave it to me over the holidays. But, when I got it out at home I could not find it. Thought I'd looked everywhere and it was gone forever.

Now we're in business. On to the hands crystal and rebluing of the case.

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Dave, cleaning and re-establishing successful operation of that cylinder movement does your skills great justice. The same care should earn you a Rare collectible. The crystal and hands should not be too great a task.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Dave,

This is an unbelievable transformation! Very nice job! If you strike out on the glass crystal, I can make one for you no problem.

Again, I'm totally amazed that a watch that recently looked practically hopeless with all that rust and glue everywhere turned out so beautiful. The rotating "sexy girl" through the little movie window is super-groovy; I've never seen one of those before.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Dave and William,
This old watch was actually trying to run before I ever started on it. And after cleaning it. I don't see many Colibri movements, but this one has impressed me. It runs well.
Think I'll study blueing processes and see if I dare attempt that on this old case. I won't do anything irreversible for sure.
I'll keep you in mind for the crystal William, but I'd like to send the watch to someone for both fitting of hands and crystal at the same time.
The only hands example I have found is this one:

Dave Turner

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Got the hands and crystal installed. Case still needs bluing, but it doesn't look bad the way it is.
The picture pronounces all the case defects.

Here she is:

Dave Turner

posted
nice great job.

posted
Dave
You have made this metal that was all most lost,
that you hope it to be a watch.
That Very Great work that you put in, I would say was a lot of hours.
Now you have a Great Time Piece.
Way to go Dave.

James

Posts: 54 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 09, 2014
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Another classic drug back from the edge of the grave! Eek

BEAUTIFUL job! Smile

HIGH regard! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1736
posted
Nice project Dave,

Makes me wonder how many watches I passed on because they didn't catch my eye at the antique store or flea market.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I'm attracted to the real eyesores. Always hoping I can bring 'em back.

As I may have mentioned, this one belongs to my brother in law, who found it in a pile of junk in the garage, left by his father.

He wants it back now! Smile

Dave Turner

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Dave,

Tell your brother that he can have it back ...for $5,000! What a great job! This thread is rich with visual drama!

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Yea right!

Unfortunate part is, He only sees the sentimental value of it.

Oh well, I thoroughly enjoyed the project and the comments here it generated.

Thanks guys.

Dave Turner

IHC Member 1736
posted
Dave,

I got caught in a similar deal with my folks. I worked out a deal with them that they could have "their" watch back... but that everyone in the family understood, it comes to me when they pass.

R/Pault

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Paul, I've been watching a LOT of Agatha Christie mysteries this past week, so I hope you can understand why your last sentence bothers me. Eek

Big Grin Wink

Regard! Mark