Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Porcelain-Enamel Dial Cleaning "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Dave been using the denture cleaner for several years it works good,,something else you can try is use the same product in the ultrasonic cleaner and it,s magic what it will do ,, Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Thanks Dave, I know we have discussed this subject in the past but I don't think we have ever had a first hand demo of the POLIDENT solution cleaning process with time indicated so accurately....

I usually use the Comet Liquid Bathroom cleaner and it has been working pretty well, but I think my next cleaning job might be with the POLIDENT....

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1357
posted
Hey guys just speaking for myself as a rank amatuer.I greatly appreciate these tips and combining them is a very good idea!!! Regards Roger

Posts: 4086 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
Roger as a "RANK" amateur, if you used the Polident it will eliminate 99.9% of odor causing bacteria as a result you will be still be a amateur but a lot less "Rank", and if you keep reading these good tips, even the amateur will vanish. Smile had to have a little fun with that, hopefully it wasn't too "RANK"

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Well put Claude, and I don't think it was too RANK.... Eek

Okay, Dave....I'll see how it goes....

Regards,

Jerry

IHC Life Member
posted
Was RANK a major concern, or should it be kept private? I know, I deserve corporal PUNishment Big Grin

Posts: 218 | Location: Oak Harbor, Washington in the USA | Registered: May 21, 2009
IHC Member 1357
posted
Boy,guess I asked for that.You guys are to funny Smile Smile Roger

Posts: 4086 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
I will post some pictures on this post tonight of a Ingersoll-Trenton 16s 7j that I picked up in a gold case for about $35 so you can see how following the methods mentioned can really make the dial look like very nice. I received it yesterday in the mail and cleaned the dial last night but did not take any pictures yet. The other topic I will try to see if one has been started is chip repair.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is after 36 Hours soak of the three "test Dials. There is considerable improvement of the more serious cracks. At this point I plan to use this process for Cracked and dirty dials, and I will continue to use the Tile cleaner for really crudded up dials first before dealing with the cracks in Polident. A great dial cleaning method and VERY PASSIVE!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
Left Before
Center 3 minute denture cleaner
Right Comet Bathroom Cleaner

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
I just finished cleaning two Elgin dials, both Porcelain-Enamel, one was single sunk (second chapter) and the other was double sunk....

I soaked both in the Comet Bathroom Cleaner for 15 min. and removed them and ran them under warm water (gentle stream) to rinse and the s/s & d/s on both of them fell out of the outer portion of each dial....

My question, is, can these dials be saved or are they scrap at this point....

I have not taken any pictures at this point and will not unless someone wants to see them....

The enamel is chipped on each as well and it looks as though they may be scrap to me....

Any thoughts from anyone...?

Regards,

Jerry

IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Jerry, I bet if you used the Simple green on them the hairlines would have been GONE.

I'll take some before and after pictures, but I find that the Lemon Scent, Simple Green has worked the best so far.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
Hi Jerry, my question is did you notice if your s/s & d/s part of your dials had been glued in? I have used Comet bathroom cleaner for a while now with no damage. If they had been glued back at some time the comet would have released the glue. Just my 2 cents Smile

Leon

Posts: 296 | Location: Livingston, Tennessee USA | Registered: May 20, 2006
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
All these thoughts have gone through me as well, Leon, but there was quite a lot of enamel powder or something that looked like powder in the comet cleaner as residue....

No, I did not see anything that looked glued but that does not mean it wasn't because some of these glues nowadays is clear drying and you really can't see the glue....

This is not the first dials that I have cleaned in the Comet either....I have cleaned a few prior with no problems and these dials are not that hard to find, yet....but my main question is can the dials be repaired or is it better to just scrap them and move on....

I know they could be soldered back in, but then you need to deal with the enamel and that will be the problem....it seems like....

Thanks for your thoughts Leon....They could have been glued at a prior time....

Regards,

Jerry

IHC Life Member
posted
Jerry, are the dials in good enough condition that they cam be soldered?

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Jerry's dials can probably be re-glued and saved, we really cannot throw anything away these days Roll Eyes any attempt to solder a dial that has been taken apart previously may not turn out well.

Like Leon, I have cleaned literally hundreds of dials using the Comet Bathroom Cleaner with no problems whatsoever. I can only imagine Jerry's dials had been put back together using some sort of water-soluble glue. The recommendation I have made many times has been and I quote: "...on older dials try soaking for only 3 to 5 minutes at a time as a precaution. Be careful in scrubbing on them as well..." I would not ever use hot water on any dial, use warm water and warm air only. Also, and this is important especially dials made prior to the Twentieth Century... "After the first few minutes of soaking the hairlines usually begin to whiten, so do it step-by-step soaking for a few minutes at a time."

This cleaner works very, very well and I recommend it whole-heartedly but I also recommend reading all the postings and paying particular attention to my cautionary statements including... "do it step-by-step soaking for a few minutes at a time" ...along with this advisory... "As with anything you are unfamiliar with, begin slowly. Remember this, for most dials an immersion then gentle scrubbing is sufficient. Several gentle cleanings are preferable to one rough one. The first dial you clean should be the worst one you have, that way you will learn how it works."

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Jerry, My watchmaker's Granddaughter just put one together. If you would like his number, he said that he would take a look at it for you if you like.

When I say Granddaughter, I don't mean anything like it is easy. She has been working with him for a LONG time. I guess she has been offered scholarships even to different collages. She's that good. She, or they can put second hands together like nothing!! Wish I could!! Frown

Regards,
Larry

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Do they have any photo's to look at, I wonder...? I don't understand what you mean, Larry, when you say;
Quote:

Thanks,

Jerry

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
A before and after using Comet cleaner. I have had very good success with it. I even use it to pre-clean very dirty plates and parts before using the cleaning machine.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Adding to the methods is Mean Green cleaner in a heated ultrasonic for 3 minutes. No pictures yet, but next time I do a dial I will post before and after pics.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
Has anyone using the Comet cleaner noticed any fading issues with the dial markings if left too long?

I put an Illinois dial in the goo last night and successfully forgot about it until this morning (about 12 hours). It cleaned out the hairlines, but I'm positive the numerals and script are less vivid.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Jerry, I was showing someone else this post today and saw your question.

He is so old that he doesn't even have a computer, but I'm sure she does. I even could have taken some pictures for you.

I have done a couple of the second hands also, but without a lathe it is really hard.

What I mean is that when a hand comes off the tube when you are trying to remove it, I used to just send him the tube and the hand and he/she would reinstall it.

Like I said earlier he/she can solder dials also. I am getting ready to try it pretty soon also. They have a liquid solder that I think will do pretty good. It is a low heat solder.

He stopped doing the hands for me as it just is not cost effective for them. I was sending him 3 to 5 of them a month at one time.

Eric, it's funny how some of them seem to lighten a little and others don't. I use bad dials turned over to put the dial I'm soaking on, and one of then has no numbers left while the other one has them just as good as when I put it in, and both the same type of dial also.

Regards,
Larry

IHC Life Member
posted
Like Eric, I also left an Illinois dial in too long. It was a private label "Stewart Special" and the chapters survived but the wording on the dial faded. Now with private label dials, I limit the soak to around 6 hours.

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
posted
Bruce, thats one of the reasons I went to using the ultrasonic. Red numbers and other letters can fade with the bathroom cleaner soaking method. With my way they dont fade. Be warned, if you have a badly damaged dial its possible a ultrasonic will vibrate already loose chips off the dial.
Here is a before and after shot using mean green and a heated ultrasonic, it took 3 minutes.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Jim, thanks for the tip. I'll definitely look for loose areas first...filling in missing chunks isn't fun Eek

Posts: 718 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: November 21, 2008
posted
I had a dial that had quite a few hairlines. But it looked like it wasnt a good candidate for the ultrasonic. So I soaked it in my home made cleaning solution and left it sit overnight.
The hairlines were mostly gone. Further soaking removed all but a faint line on one of the hairlines. If I soaked it a little longer it might come out but it was a watch for a friend who wanted it back. I have since soaked almost all my dials like this with great results.
This way eliminates the possibility of damage by an ultrasonic and the bathroom cleaner as the red numbers are still deep red when done.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Roddy J. Brunton
posted
I have an old Longines dial I would like to try cleaning but I cannot find this Comet with no bleach anywahere up here in the Great White North! Smile
Every onne I have found has bleach.
Any other Canadian members know where I can get a small bottle?
Rod

Roddy JB

Posts: 1386 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Roddy, I have had success cleaning dials with Spray Nine which is available at Can. Tire.

Be warned however that it did lighten the private label portion of one dial as mentioned above so some caution is advised.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Roddy J. Brunton
posted
I may have to give it a try Lorne, but I would hate to totally wreck the Longines dial.
Roddy

Roddy JB

Posts: 1386 | Location: Richmond, British Columbia in Canada | Registered: January 07, 2009