Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Cleaning Machines ? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Since electricity was installed in businesses and homes in the 1800's Cleaning machines have been used. They came in all shapes and sizes and all did the same thing. They spun the parts in a bath to clean them or otherwise agitated the fluid. These machines are still in use a 100 years later. Now we have a machine introduced to the market that is Ultrasonically assisted.
What is your preference and why? What would you rather have? The old spin style or the new Ultrasonic style. I have both Heated machines and cannot tell the difference in the end result. I am using Zenith fluids.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Joseph Boone
posted
Patrick,

I have both but always clean with ultrasonic (L&R Q90) without heat. I have had pallet jewels let go in the ultrasonic with the use of heat. Whether or not the jewels coming loose were a result of this combination I cannot say. But it did happen, so I stay clear of that combo.

Once clean I then spin dry with a "bit" of heat in an old L&R Master cleaner.

Posts: 379 | Location: Charlotte, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: August 10, 2012
posted
I only have the ultrasonic. I bought mine at Harbor Freight, a place that sells low cost tools. I bought it after reading about the different types of machines and settled on this one because of the low volume of watches that I do and because it was only $49 on sale. To be honest if the parts dont come clean in the first cycle I can always do a second and they always end up clean after that.
Like Joseph above I dont use heat with most things. I have had loose roller jewels and pallet stones come loose and just stopped doing that. I dont even put them in the ultrasonic anymore but I use a cleaning fluid, one dip for hairsprings, to clean them. The only thing I use heat on are dials.

Now I will admit to something I have been doing for about 6 months. I use my own mix of cleaning solution. So far without any problems. I tested it on garbage movements first to test it then I used it on others.
1 part Ammonia ($1 a quart from the dollar store)
1 part Mean Green ($5 a gallon from the dollar store)
3 parts water

I then do a two step rinse. Water, then isopropyl alcohol to get the water off the parts. An old blow dryer that only works on low heat that my daughter was going to toss out helps dry things fast.

Disclaimer: I do not recommend anyone put high end movement parts in my cleaning solution formula without testing. While I have had good results I have not tested it on every kind of watch material and I dont know what may happen. Use it at your own risk. I have only reported what I do and my experiences YMMV.

Update 7/2/2013 - So far I have been using my cleaner for a little over a year with no issues. But I am thinking of diluting the cleaner a little.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
Picture of Joseph Boone
posted
Jim - I'm very interested in your homemade cleaning solution. How does it compare to regular watch cleaning solution? I use the non-ammoniated stuff right now but its pricey at around 50 bucks a gallon. I think its #677 L&R.

Glad to hear you've had good results.

Also i forgot to mention, but the ultrasonic gets it clean the first time around for me. Very happy with the end result. I don't see how a spin type cleaner could possibly compete with an ultrasonic. Unless of course you had much more agressive cleaner. The kind thats very bad for your health:-/

Posts: 379 | Location: Charlotte, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: August 10, 2012
posted
I havent noticed any real difference in the cleaning Joseph. But if a watch is really really filthy it may take a second 3 minute cycle in my machine. But that may be because I am not using a high end ultrasonic. Its went up in price over the last 2 years but its still for sale. here is a link

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
L&R Auto-Reversing Spin cleaner. L&R Fine watch cleaner and L&R #3 (I think) Rinse. Swiss Air dryer.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Joseph Boone
posted
David, I have that same machine.

posted
I use a McKenna ultrasonic with a built-in dryer. I takes up far less room than the L&R #3, uses far less fluid, and doesn't make a mess.

On the right is an L&R ultrasonic that I use for cases.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Jim,
Have you used your solution to do guilded movements? I have a couple of guilded watches that have become dingy over time. Lookin for something that will bring out the color again.

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I have the L&R that David posted and a Ultrasonic similar to the one Eric posted. I've been using the Ultrasonic for abut a year now and am very happy with it. Last week a Time lock expert in Salt Lake City, who was 99 passed on and I was given a lot of his items. The L&R is 100% complete with extra baskets. After 1/2 hour of brushing and blowing I got to the actual machine and plugged it in, turned it on and WA LA it worked. The heater works and so does reverse. I cleaned a 18s Elgin and was very surprised to see how clean and shiny everything came out after the rinse. I like the fact that you can place the parts in different little baskets and spin to clean and rinse and then I used an empty jar and spun it all dry with a little compressed air.
This old L&R preforms as well as the Ultrasonic as far as I can see.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
I have Bruce. Gilded plates and brass is something it does well. But as you know some plates will never be what they once were. Here is a 18s that was cleaned with the solution.

Picture of Joseph Boone
posted
I'd like to have a McKenna ultrasonic but I haven't seen one for sale in quite some time.