• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

replacing the screw in the stud "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I want to take a screw out of one balance asembly that has a broken staff and put it in another stud to fasten the hairspring to.
Is there a good method as this is such a small screw and it is going into a small hole also.
The only thing i could think of is maybe get something to make the end of my screwdriver sticky to hold the screw while i try to start the thread in the stud.
Any thoughts on this ? Confused

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Kevin,

Look out because this advice is heresy...

A lot of my life's experience is automotive-related. There, magnets to retrieve nuts and bolts as well as magnetized tools to help hold a fastener while positioning are common-place. When I have to work with such a small screw I use a magnetized screw driver. Afterwards in order to be safe I demagnetize the movement.

Not the recommended way but it works for me.

Lindell

Roll Eyes

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Are you refering to the screw that holds the balance stud into the balance cock? If so watchmaker's tweezers (Dumont 3c is a great one) will be able to hold the screw. Be very warry of using any magnatized screwdrivers. magnatism can transfer and wind up in the hairspring.

Mike Miller

Posts: 539 | Location: Central Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
veritas,

Here is a slide that may help you out with tiny screws.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Thanks John, i just saw your slide today and these are great ideas, i probaly have asimilar problem like other people do, small scre, getting older, eyes are not like they used yo be and you need lots of patience.
You are a real asset to this chapter and keep up the great work.

Kevin West