Internet Horology Club 185
replacing the screw in the stud

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3426047761/m/4216053643

June 13, 2003, 21:47
Kevin Pestor
replacing the screw in the stud
I want to take a screw out of one balance asembly that has a broken staff and put it in another stud to fasten the hairspring to.
Is there a good method as this is such a small screw and it is going into a small hole also.
The only thing i could think of is maybe get something to make the end of my screwdriver sticky to hold the screw while i try to start the thread in the stud.
Any thoughts on this ? Confused
June 14, 2003, 00:26
Lindell V. Riddle
Kevin,

Look out because this advice is heresy...

A lot of my life's experience is automotive-related. There, magnets to retrieve nuts and bolts as well as magnetized tools to help hold a fastener while positioning are common-place. When I have to work with such a small screw I use a magnetized screw driver. Afterwards in order to be safe I demagnetize the movement.

Not the recommended way but it works for me.

Lindell

Roll Eyes
June 14, 2003, 01:42
Mike Miller
Are you refering to the screw that holds the balance stud into the balance cock? If so watchmaker's tweezers (Dumont 3c is a great one) will be able to hold the screw. Be very warry of using any magnatized screwdrivers. magnatism can transfer and wind up in the hairspring.

Mike Miller
June 16, 2003, 04:22
John D. Duvall
veritas,

Here is a slide that may help you out with tiny screws.

John D. Duvall
NAWCC Member 144772
NAWCC IHC Happy Camper 192
Chapter 185 Watch Repair Moderator

July 06, 2003, 21:36
Kevin Pestor
Thanks John, i just saw your slide today and these are great ideas, i probaly have asimilar problem like other people do, small scre, getting older, eyes are not like they used yo be and you need lots of patience.
You are a real asset to this chapter and keep up the great work.

Kevin West