Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 950L I just got at a pawn shop "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
A lovely 23 jewel Hamilton gold train 950L movement serial # 1150053 I got at the pawn shop day before yesterday Big Grin in a sterling silver tilt-out case that they pried the bezel off not knowing it was threaded !! Roll Eyes Anyways the balance and mainspring are good but it wont engage to run. The dial is perfect ,not a chip or a hairline! Is there anything unusual or rare about this one or is it just a lovely old Hamilton. Also is the stem held in place by the ends of the bow in this type case , as it falls out and I see no screw ??? Do the ends need to be re-milled and tightened in?? Confused

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
#4 Don't know as I've seen a knurled gold flange on the crown post like this before?? Confused

case and stem view

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
#5 C.W.C.Co.trade mark a 1/4 moon and a star Sterling #54161

IHC Member 1342
posted
Hi Tom - wow - nice - you seem to be picking them up from everywhere! As for as the case goes, I have one - with one of those Knurled gold flanges on the crown post... they unscrew to come off. I have taken them off to clean before.

Marc Micale

Posts: 143 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: September 16, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Tom, Below the brass colored dust cover that does unscrew is a stem sleeve. of coarse you need a sleeve wrench to remove and replace. Since the bezel is in such bad shape it might be better to replace the case.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Nice find Tom,

Maybe the roller jewel broke or fell out? It's the same roller and jewel that's used on the 992.

The 1917-1918 movement could be cased in anything period correct. Below is a catalog page showing one case style. The case it's in is also correct if it can be saved. If the threads are O.K. you could file down the sterling silver and fix the sleeve and or stem.

Good luck,

RR

1919 Hamilton Catalog, Page 19

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Richard; the roller jewel is in place. I removed the balance bridge and put it back in, and lo and behold it was running. Then I noticed that the hairspring was over the edge of the gear. I carefully placed it under but noticed that the hairspring is not between those two pins. Not much wrong with it for sure, thanks , and Merry Christmas

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Tom,
I'm glad there wasn't much wrong with the 950L. It's nice when fixes are simple.
Merry Christmas,
RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Took down the balance side ,the balance pivot jewels oil had evaporated down to black gum ,cleaned and oiled that side and away she went ,now she's running like a racehorse! I'm not set up to use an ultrasonic cleaner right now so for the time being I left the dial on but she should get a complete COA