WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 090 in melamine or is this a reproduction?.... "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Was there a Hamilton 090 in melamine or is this a reproduction?....I recently picked this dial up:

"It's like deja vu all over again..."

Posts: 871 | Location: Savannah, Georgia in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2009
posted
Did I post this in the right place?....
If not will a moderator please move to more appropriate place.... Smile

Posts: 871 | Location: Savannah, Georgia in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2009
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
It's no mystery, it should be in Hamilton. That's why we created the major pocket watch company forums, to keep EVERYTHING from going into Pocklet Watches.

So if you are discussing a Hamilton,Illinois, Ball, etc. pocket watch, that's the forum where it sould be discussed -- mystery solved.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ed is this a legit dial?

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
The dial looks OK, it's one of those made in both enamel and melamine.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Not Ed but yes:

Hamilton dial 090-3 was melamine (and had a red 18)

look here

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
I didn't know that it came in both versions.....
When I researched it under the heading "Hamilton 992, 992E, and 992B Case & Dial Identification. (1924-1971)" it didn't reflect that it came in both unless I read it wrong.....
Should this be added to that heading?

posted
Thanks for the link Gerald....
I picked this dial up thinking is was the real deal....
Ed thanks for the clarification on where to post... Smile

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
posted
Like everything else, you have to piece the clues together after the fact. The inescapable conclusion is that the designation "Dial 090" was used on both enamel and melamine dials.

Best Regards,

Ed

posted
Another new thing I learned today and just another reason to value being a member here.... Smile

Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Robert,

The descriptions used in the Hamilton 992, 992E, and 992B Case & Dial Identification (1924-1971) post is shown below. On the right in the box inside the box you’ll notice the letters DS, SS, P, and M and what they stand for. Now, if you look under Type the 090, 525, and 082 dials were produced in both Porcelain-Enamel and Melamine. What’s interesting about the 090 is the 18 is black on the P dial and red on the M version. Your dial looks to be in great condition.

Enjoy,

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010
posted
Hi all,
This is a great post. I am wondering where the above info in the last post comes from, is it actual Hamilton records, is it from observation, or some other means? It definitely sheds a light on a lot of the dial questions I might have had, thanks for posting.
But where does it come from ???
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Bill, Thanks to Richard Romero it is right here on IHC185 under the "Hamilton 992B Research Forum"

Hamilton Dials

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
posted
Larry,
Thanks for the help, and a Thank you to Richard for all the information in that research. I am sorry That I sometimes forget how to use the tools at hand, as generally I do know that the info is here sometimes.
Thanks again,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Glad to help Bill.

I just use it all the time, so I knew where you wanted to go.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
Picture of Richard Romero
posted
Robert,

I just edited the dial ID post so it should be easier to identify both versions of the 090 dial. There has also been confusion about the 525 dial versions so hopefully it’s easier to differentiate them now.

Here’s the new post:

992B Dials in Porcelain-Enamel and Melamine 525, 090, 082...

Bill,

That description above is stuff I typed, cut, copied, and pasted together. The numbers and descriptions are conclusions reached from Hamilton advertisements, catalogs, parts material lists, and blue prints as well as observations. Hamilton changed dial numbers and descriptions throughout the years so the 992, 992E, and 992B Case & Dial Identification (1924-1971) post is merely a basic guideline meant to identify and describe.

While doing the post Lindell and I had conversations about some of the dial descriptions and during that time I think he was also talking to Ed Parsons about the information and what the most appropriate description would be for certain dials. The end result is what we as collectors can presently use to explain to each other what dial we’re looking at and approximately when it was used.

Thank you Gentlemen,

RR

Posts: 1413 | Location: Fremont, California in the USA | Registered: February 06, 2010