Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Philadelphia Ball Model Case - ? - "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member
posted
Philadelphia Ball Model Case - ? -

I'm trying to get some info on a Philadelphia Watch case Co. twenty year case with "Ball Model" printed underneath-is anyone familiar with this?
Thanks in advance...

Marty

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Marty,

There were many styles of "Ball Model" cases from several manufacturers.

Most will be Keystone, although some Wadsworth and Philadelphia cases marked as "Ball Model" are also entirely correct. Unfortunately, there are unscrupulous people out there adding "Ball Model" today by hand engraving, those are fakes that are polluting the hobby like the worked-over dials we often discuss in Avoiding the Pitfalls of On-Line Trading are. Examine any suspect case very, very carefully my friend.

In the merged image below, you'll see an entirely correct "Ball Model" marked Philadelphia Case that also has the additional bonus of having what I consider to be especially beautiful "Pugh Brothers Jewelry Co. - Pittsburgh, Pa." markings. I'll be interested in your comments about this one.

So nice Smile it's signed not once or twice but thrice Eek three times...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member
posted
Lindell:
Thanks for your help;I came across this case on an Elgin that I saw on ebay...Unfortunetly I let it go,I just wasn't sure about it-Until now! It's exactly like the model on the left in your picture-and now in someone elses happy hands.
I think the plain look of it threw me;and it sure does look like a forgers dream come true. I'll be on the look-out for another of these,maybe next time I'll win the auction.
If you ever see a fake that I could study,please let me know! Besides lousy work how could one be spotted??

Marty

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Excellent question, as I mentioned there are those who will deface a case using crudely done hand engraving in an attempt to pass it off as "Ball Model" and we see them occasionally in eBay auctions.

And now... here is a forgery!

I call this a "rusty nail" or "dremel tool" attempt...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002