Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Street Railway watch inspection "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
As I understand it, back in the early 1900's, the so-called street railways also had a system of watch standards and inspectors like the "real" railroads.I know their standards were a little lower (3-position 17 or more jewels, 16 or 18S).But, they also were under the rules of inspection and their employees had to also carry cards .Has anyone ever seen one of these watch inspector cards?There must have been lists put out of the approved watches, but I don't remember ever seeing any. I know all the American watch companies made a lot of these watches, so there must have been plenty of competition for this market.Does anybody know of any lists of these approved watches?

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Larry Treiman wrote a very informative article in a monthly magazine ( that will remain unnamed) back in 1978 that covered the trollys and interurban system watches and inspections. Like the railroads most had different requirements for the watches and watch inspections. Some did require the employee to carry the inspection cards with them.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Ed, I have that article too, I didn't want to mention it for obvious reasons.I was hoping that after all that time has gone by, there'd be newer info that may have surfaced.By the way, I read the accident story you posted.I wonder if it had anything to do with timing?Thanks again, Ted.

posted
Probably if someone took another stab they could probably add a great deal to what Larry did many decades ago since you now have the internet to work with. Trolley lines fell by he wayside prior to and during the depression. There was an inter-urban railroad that ran between Cleveland and Toledo Ohio with trunk lines going off to Fostoria and Fremont and up into lower Michigan. For anyone that still lives near Sandusky Ohio there are remnants of the inter-urban line that runs along the RT2 bypass. I have a a larger 8x10 BW photo of one of the trolleys that operated within Sandusky. Some people always say that 3-4 position watches were all trolley watches but some major railroads were still accepting a3p watches also.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
This past winter I have picked up a Hamilton Electric Special,a Hamilton Electric Railway Special and a Hamilton Interurban Special. They have peaked my interest in the trolly watches.
Their is a lot of information on some of the different systems around the country. Just google "Electric Railway" or "Interurban Railway."
Much of the information is provided by local fan clubs.

IHC Member 1110
posted
I think these trolley watches do make a nice collection.I have a Hamilton 978, a 16s LS 19J Illinois, and a Waltham 637 in the works.You can get these still at reasonable prices.Like Claude said, apparently a lot of these 3-4 position jobs ran the railroads, and I imagine some full-blown RR watches saw trolley service too.I'm surprised that Ball didn't get into this area.I forgot to mention, I have a Montgomery dial for to use on the 637 grade 3 pos. Waltham, it's marked "Waltham Electric Railway".I don't know if it's a common dial, but I've never seen another one.Thanks, Ted.

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
That is the first I have heard of a marked Waltham dial. I have seen a marked Illinois dial. Hamilton made a success of it's series, I guess the other mfg. thought they could to.
I saw on eBay a Hamilton "Yakima Electric Special." It was ordered along with 4 others by Edward B. Lecky of Yakima, Oragon.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...4108073/m/5363938857

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Ed.I have a picture in one of Roy Ehrhardt's books of a 16S Hampden dial that was marked for electric railways also, I imagine those are kind of scarce too.Hamiltons like the ones you have seem to be the most common.What was the Illinois you mentioned? I know they made tons of S.R. grades, but I've never seen one with a marked dial.Thanks again, Ted.