Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois case size "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I have a 12s 21j Illinois Abe Lincoln that I am trying to recase. I purchased a nice case but the movement will not fit (even with the dust band removed). Does this movement take something different than a regular 12s case?

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Hi Bruce,
It is not well known that Illinois made two different size movements in "12-size" (not counting the later thin models). Bill Meggers was not aware of this until I pointed it out to him. Their earlier 12-size watches (including many of the earlier A.Lincolns) were standard and fit a standard 12-size case. When they started producing factory-cased watches they modified the specifications and these movements require a special case. This is common with the A.Lincoln and the Autocrat models.

From the back they look the same as the standard movements. However, typically the standard size movements have a dial that measures 10 size and fits in a recess in the pillar plate. The non-standard movements have a larger dial (usually metal) and no recess -- the dial goes to the edge of the pillar plate.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Ha Ha it figures.. The hunt continues for the correct case.. Jerry, any idea what kind of case that movement would have come with?? style wise...

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002