Internet Horology Club 185
Illinois case size

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/975109692

June 04, 2004, 16:26
Bruce Byrd
Illinois case size
I have a 12s 21j Illinois Abe Lincoln that I am trying to recase. I purchased a nice case but the movement will not fit (even with the dust band removed). Does this movement take something different than a regular 12s case?
June 04, 2004, 17:49
Jerry Treiman
Hi Bruce,
It is not well known that Illinois made two different size movements in "12-size" (not counting the later thin models). Bill Meggers was not aware of this until I pointed it out to him. Their earlier 12-size watches (including many of the earlier A.Lincolns) were standard and fit a standard 12-size case. When they started producing factory-cased watches they modified the specifications and these movements require a special case. This is common with the A.Lincoln and the Autocrat models.

From the back they look the same as the standard movements. However, typically the standard size movements have a dial that measures 10 size and fits in a recess in the pillar plate. The non-standard movements have a larger dial (usually metal) and no recess -- the dial goes to the edge of the pillar plate.
June 04, 2004, 18:51
Bruce Byrd
Ha Ha it figures.. The hunt continues for the correct case.. Jerry, any idea what kind of case that movement would have come with?? style wise...

Bruce Byrd