• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Balance screw tool "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
While looking at older posts on "running too fast", I came across the solution to my problem. I have a Hamilton that is running WAY fast. There is a balance screw missing exactly 180 out. I do have an extra balance wheel of the same type. How is this done? Does the wheel need to be removed from the cock? What tool is used to remove and install these tiny screws? I'm very new at this but want to learm. Thanks for any help. Paul

Posts: 122 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
If you have a Balance screw holder I suggest you remove the wheel from the Cock and carefully unscrew BOTH of the New screws from the parts wheel, and then replace them in opposition to that "orphan" left on your "good" wheel.
DO NOT TRY TO USE A SCREW DRIVER!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
If you have a "Watch Maker's Tack" you can do that this way, but take care to hold the wheel so you do not bend or distort the wheel . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Dave: Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately i have neither tool. I believe that is the tool you used to replace the regulator screw for me. I will do a search. Thanks again, you are a wealth of information. Paul

Posts: 122 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2011
posted
Dave: I did found a few holders. Any suggestion as to the size? I think i can make that watch makers tack. Paul

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
16-18s Balance weights are about 1 mm diameter. A holder within a range of 0.25-0.8 mm will probably work. The larger they are, the less likely thay are to mark up the weight. The one I used in the pictures above is at the far right.

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Dave, could you show a clearer picture of the tack. Thanks.
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
My Tack That I use at home that has "Meuller" engraved on it. These were often one of the first things a budding student watchmaker was taught to make. You can buy very good one "Ready Made" from casker at;
http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/product6651.html

IHC Member 1016
posted
If anyone needs balance wheel screws let me know. I have a number of them of various sizes. Dave, I have some tools I was wondering about and they may be the ones you show here to remove/replace the screws. I'll post a coupe photos when the sun comes up and maybe you can tell me about them.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
Dave: I have two screw holders on the way. I made this tack and installed a support for the wheel so the pivot and spring do not get damaged when working.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The block is a nice idea Paul, I would drill a 1/2" diameter hole in it to allow the Balance staff pivot, Roller Jewel, etc. to "drop" into the hole so only the wheel rim is touching the block so no damage is imparted to the fragile pivot or roller jewel.

Usually I prefer the balance wheel is hanging by the spring so I can hold the wheel gently while working on it. If I want the wheel stabilized, I turn the whole thing "upside down" so the wheel stays on top of the Balance Cock.

posted
Dave: It can't be seen in the picture but there is a hole for the roller table to drop down into. Paul

IHC Member 1016
posted
Here are the tools I referred to.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Another angle

posted
Not mentioned, but only remove donor screws that are opposite one another, 180 degrees apart this way you will not loose poise. And only ones that are screwed all the way down to the balance rim. Unless you are missing a mean time screw, that's ones not screwed down to rim, If that's the case you still change in pairs but only screw it in about the same distance not all the way. It's hard to explain on the computer. Email me with your phone number if I can help.. Joe S

Posts: 7 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: July 17, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Mike, you have two pin vises for small drills and things like that. They are hard to imagine for balance weights because they would be difficult to "unlock" from the weight without stressing the wheel threads when you are done. The third tool looks like a pallet fork sdjuster with some parts missing. The separate heating tabs were intended so you could heat up each side to manipulate that stone only without having the other side floating about due to the shellac type adhesive holding the stones which softens with heat. The little "trigger" is actually a device to Lock down" the pallet lever by its pivots. Another example is below;

posted
Joe: I understand exactly what you are refering to and that is the type of screw that i have to replace. The donor wheel has a pair of the same type installed. I will match the depth when replacing the pair. Thanks Paul

IHC Member 1016
posted
I'm too old to learn all this stuff! Thanks Dave. These were some of the tools in the bench I bought last month. I will eventually figure it out.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
I guess i am the odd ball but i seperate the balance from the cock when i change any screws and also remove the hairspring so i can check the poise on the balance which should be done anytime you change any screws or add any screws. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Mike: Never too old to learn something. All of these good folks are great teachers with lots of patience. Paul