Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

992B - Let's Speculate! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Since I have no experience with such a high grade watch, my opinion doesn't count for much, but I just had to mention that even as a new collector, I know an OUTSTANDING watch when I see one!

It is simply GORGEOUS!

A monogram makes no difference to me, actually it ADDS to a watch for me.

So in the end, it really IS in the eye of the beholder.
(And the PRISTINE condition yours is in)

When I see watches like the ones shown here, it's
more than I can stand. I am green with envy too, but am so thankful that they are in the hands of people that really care about them.

I can't grade a watch, or give it a name, but I sure do appreciate you sharing yours with us all.

Seeing Watches like this make me feel warm and fuzzy all day! Big Grin Big Grin Wink

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
Lindell,
Thanks. If you would conduct a poll and ask this question, "How does this watch rank overall among all the 992B that you have seen", I would guess that very few collectors have seen one this nice!

I believe that establishing a "NAWCC" sponsored grading system should be near the top of our priority list.

Here we have a outstanding hobby with thousands of collectors but no standardized method of grading watches.

This would eliminate the coin grading phrase "Mint" that is so commonly used today to describe watches and watch components.

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Hi Robert,
According to Shugart's Complete Price Guide to Watches, he devised a "Grading Watches" list. Scroll upwards to see the "Grading Watches" list I posted above.

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
David beautiful watch Call it mint because it is just that, mint condition...

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
My vote is that the jeweler polished the case after engraving it. After all, you would want the owner to say" WOW!"

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Terry and others,

Sorry for the delay in posting addtional pictures but I am having a very difficult time getting a clean shot of the edge. Too much glare. The edge keeps trying to catch the light. I am posting the best I could come up with.

Incidentally, from looking the case over as we have discussed this watch, it is "POSSIBLE" that when tilted in the light just right and using a 10X loupe, I am seeing the faintest reminents of brush marks. Too hard to tell with certainty. It makes me wonder if possibly the jeweler that engraved the monogram buffed the case with the intention of polishing away the factory finish.?.?.?.?

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of David Johnson
posted
The edge of the case and stamped "pie crust" design actually looks sharper in hand.

Picture of David Johnson
posted

Picture of David Johnson
posted

posted
David,
thank you for the additional images..

it is as i suspected.. the little nuiances(sp) are best seen in hand...

But .. what a sharp crown! and the flat edge on the case where it meets the center ring shows no appreciable wear..

what is difficult to determine is just 'how much' buffing has been done.. i was hoping the intersection of the case back and the engraved ring before the pie crust would help to tell... but it is gonna have to be an in hand inspection...

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Gee the more pictures I see, the more I'm leaning towards Mint!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004