Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

992B - Let's Speculate! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of David Johnson
posted
With all of the discussions we have concerning originality and authenticity of watches, we often get into some pretty interesting conversations that can bring together some diversified opinions.

This has caused me to want to put up one of my watches for discussion. I have shown this to several collectors over the past few years I have owned this watch. It has made for some wonderful speculation.

Let me say before I go any further that this watch is NOT for sale so there is no salesmanship interest here. Nor am I looking for a good story to tell. There is in fact, a story behind this watch but I am mearly seeking the input and opinions of the experts here.

I bought this Hamilton 992B several years ago. It is a complete package i.e. watch, inner bakelite box, outer cardboard box (matching numbers), certificate and what even appears to be some white tissue paper that was used as padding and wrap. Take a look.

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Everything looks right on the watch. The numbers on the box match the case and movement.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
I have combed over this watch a thousand times and can find no signs of wear. Remove the bezel and the dial is perfect. Black hands are bright and spotless. The crystal is free of any scratches.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
This next image is quite revealing. Hamilton collectors will immediately notice that the case back has been polished. This watch would have left the factory with a brushed "butler" finish. This is where the story comes in and I will talk about it shortly. I want to post the remaining pictures first.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
The crown looks as sharp as a saw blade.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
The bow is as tight as can be. The bow tube fits perfectly and does not appear to be a replacement.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
No jewelers marks present on the case back. The number J346887 all match to the box, case back, frame and bezel.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
The picture of the movement doesn't hold a candle to how crisp it is in hand.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
Movement #C338636 matches the box and dates to about 1951.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
O.K. Here is what all the hubbub is about. Technically speaking, I am the third owner of the watch. PRACTICALLY speaking, one would say I am the SECOND owner of the watch. The watch was bought from an estate by a dealer that I have dealt with several times and have found them to be honest and very trustworthy. They purchased the watch from the wife of the original owner. Cleaned and oiled the movement only. Did not touch the case. I purchased the watch from them so it was only in their possession for about 2 weeks. I have had it ever sense then.

A case model #2 with a polished back is typically indicative of having been buffed to remove scratches or wear. However, the condition of the watch from every other aspect doesn't show any wear. Believe me when I say this, in spite of what appearance the photos may give. Light reflections or blurry spots can sometimes play tricks on you.

The case back has been monogramed M.O.B.W. You will also note the penciled in name of Mr. M.O. Wahgenteen on the box label.

Engraving a case like this would have left the engraving with a sharp edge to it necessitating the buffing of the case back to smooth the engraving. Consequently, it would also remove the brushed finish.

How plausible is it that the case was engraved by the jeweler and buffed smooth upon its original purchase. The owners wife claimed that she gave the watch to her husband as a gift and he became so fond of it that he wouldn't wear it.

Is this a "Mint" watch? Or should we use the term "Unused"? Or, does the fact that the case has been altered knock it out of that category compltely? How much would a buffed back affect the value of the watch? Would it detract any from the amount YOU would be willing to pay for it?

Have at it boys and girls!!!!!!!! Smile

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Just an opinion from a Clock enthusiast, The back was polished by the guy who put the initials on, Nice watch, You know over this side of the Pond Plated or Gold Filled are not regarded very highly despite whatever movement it has. Regards, Ged. PS. I must have been typing my reply with my Arthritic fingers at the same time as you wrote the explanation hence the wrong sequence of event.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
David,
First off, I don`t think the term "mint" should be applied to a watch although this term has some merit when applied to the damasceening and etchings on the movement. Since watches aren`t minted but rather, produced in factories, I believe "Factory new" would be a more appropriate term and meaning condition exactly as it was when it left the factory after final inspection, prior to sale. Even then you could spot occasional differences like sharper engravings, etc.
This watch or any watch that is monogrammed would not be original or "factory new" as far as the case is concerned but even here we would have to start splitting hairs because some would say "well it was monogrammed at the factory", etc.
Personally I like the smooth finish better than the brushed type but like almost everyone else my preferences are overidden and modified when dollar values are considered. I would not pay top dollar for a monogrammed watch. On the other hand, if my initials were M.O.B.W. (fat chance!) I would likely pay a premium.
When you are trying to put a descriptive label on a pristine watch it is almost meaningless anyway. You could say this was unworn or worn a time or two, unused, etc. but if you can`t tell by looking at the watch it`s really a moot point as you have nothing to go on but the story. Like most everything else, it`s all relative and you don`t have to agree on descriptive labels, just price.

Smile

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Just call it "MINTY!" Big Grin

But seriously, if it were a coin it couldn't be called "mint" because it's been taken out of the package. "Mint" coins are all in those cellophane wrappers. Once the wrapper is off it's "extra-fine" or "very fine" or something like that. But we don't have a very consistent grading system for watches. I wish we did. Frown

Most everything else substantiative I'd have to agree with Kenny. Smile

Just my two "minty" cents!

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Fantastic! Spectacular! A lot of us are green with envy.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
David,

This is one of the best watch packages that I have seen so far.

Thank you for sharing this gem with us!

This picture shows the grading system for coins. If this system could be adapted to your watch, I would grade it as Mint State 65.

Grading coins is an art and I would venture to say the same thing about grading watches. There are always the variables of eye appeal, blemishes, factory flaws, and other such aspects to consider.

posted
David...The word Mint is so over used that your watch probably would rate superior to most. I like and use "Pristine" to describe a watch like yours....Robert

Picture of Joel W. Sarich
posted
David:
It's difficult to compare coins and watches. There is so very much to "grade" here. That's a very fine piece. I personally would call it "mint." You are getting into a gray area however since it has the monogram, some folks would grade it down to very fine. I have a friend who, no matter how nice it is, would not collect it because of the monogram. Just my two cents!
Joel Sarich

Posts: 286 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: February 13, 2005
posted
David,
That is a very nice example...... nothing can take that away..

Point please.... Do we KNOW for a fact these cases left with a brushed back ?

I believe any minor buffing after the engraving would not remove the brush marks.... it takes some serious buffing to do that... IMHO.. those brush marks are 'beefier' that one imagines... and would change the edge of the case back where it intersects with the stamped 'pie crust' and the border surrounding it.

As far as a determination of if the watch was carried.....

there are 'tells' that can only be revealed by an in-hand inspection.... no image can show these...

It is plausiable (sp?) that he did not carry the watch..bacause of sentimental value..

now representing the watch....
totally a subjective process....
some will 'kill it' because of the engraving... some won't..

one can still judge it on an amout of wear.... believe me... you can tell a 98% case from a 95% case.. but "usually" only if they are side by side for comparison...

You said it was not for sale..
Basically present the item just as you have here... and let the observer make up their OWN mind of MINT, PRISTINE, 99%, SUPERIOR.. or whatever term they wish to use...

that's my .02

Thanks for posting this great example. Even though it is a 'common' RR watch (as some have condemed them) Wink Wink

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
David, an awesome package!

Shugart's Complete Guide to Watches shows watch grading on page 12 & 13. Excuse the poor quality quick pics taken for your info.

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Page 13

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Gorgeous watch Dave! Someone, at some time, has engraved a monogram on the back of this case and either that same person, or perhaps someone else buffed it. The question we are asked to consider is who did the buffing and why.

Why was it done? It looks like the engraving was done first, then the buffing, as the design appears to be partially "smoothed." So here's my speculation: someone may have attempted to buff the monogram off, but stopped when they saw how deeply cut it was.

Who did it? Assuming the chain of provenance you gave is correct, it had to be either the first or second owner.

The first owner may have decided he didn't like the look of the monogram. The second owner may have wanted to be rid of the initials to increase the value of the watch.

As far as value of the set is concerned, I wouldn't consider it a big deal in view of the "big picture" i.e. the completeness of the set and the extraordinary condition of all the components.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Everyone,

Thanks so much for the wealth of comments. This watch always causes a stir when I bring it out. If nothing else, it makes for a great study piece.

I agree that the term "mint" by nature is not appropriate in grading pocket watches. However, like it or not, it has become synonomous with this hobby to some degree. Because it is not appropriate, it is a very subjective term and this gives sellers a lot of "latitude" when using it in their descriptions. Because of this, I have just about eliminated the word from my vocabulary.

As for the watch itself. Terry, how likely is it that you could obtain this case with a polished back from the factory? This is a new angle that I have never heard of before. I am all but positive that the case has been buffed with a rouge wheel. These wheels will leave very tiny, microscopic divits in the case and these divits are present in the back of this case. Whether this was used to remove the brushed finish is another subject. However, the "pie crust" border you mentioned is fully in tact and sharp. I often carry this watch with me to shows or events where other collectors are present. Hopefully one day we will meet in person when I have it with me. I would greatly value your evaluation of it in hand. Unfortunately, I am unable to get down to Ft. Lauderdale. Frown

Ed, The monogram has a unique look to it. The letters are made up of a series of small marks or dots which may be giving the illusion of wear. It is not worn and completely legible, even when viewed under a loupe. I don't think anyone has tried to remove it.

What I find interesting is that when I show this watch, all the Hamilton & Railroad collectors hover around it and the opinions start to fly. Inevitably, I am asked how much I want for it. Soon, a couple of very generous offers will come. When people see this watch in hand, the monogram becomes less of an issue.

Complete examples in this "condition" (regardless of how one may define that word) don't show up often. I think that as a rule of thumb, this tends to overshadow everything else.

In the mean time, I am going to continue enjoying My Original Beautiful Watch and take pride in having it as a part of my collection!!! Wink

posted
quote:
I am all but positive that the case has been buffed with a rouge wheel. These wheels will leave very tiny, microscopic divits in the case and these divits are present in the back of this case.

David,
That is an important detail... and yes, adds to the mystery Wink

I do not have an answer for the brushed/polished issue... more research needed...

What would be of more concern is the condition of the thin border before the pie crust... not necessarly the pie crust itself...

posted
My Original Beautiful Watch.

I like it.

Picture of David Johnson
posted
Terry,

This type of thing fancinates me. If I take a couple of close up shots of the case edge, will this give you any more information to comment on?

Also, there may be some difference in how one defines a watch as being "never carried". Many will say this means literally never carried, as in, sat in the box its entire life while some will say never carried "on a daily basis" but may have been worn on special occasions. To this, examination of the case may be the only indicators to answer what may apply here.

posted
david,
I would certainly look at a pic.... no problem there.... especially with the type of images you take...

your statement about the buffing marks does give me more info.... i have seen the marks you speak of... usually caused by very very small dirt particles imbedded in the buff ...

=======

of course the "carried" term can be a literal term.... i would say never carried would be just that.. not worn, living its life in a box..

you hear a similar term in some revolver collectors...... the cylinder never turned... there are some of those out there.... an elite few... and these guy are serious about them to the point of being anal... one would take a whipping if you pulled the trigger on one.. if you got to handle it..

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

This is a really great topic, we all learn a lot from a discussion like this one! Lots to read, lots to learn from each other and we also get to know each other better. I apologize for the length of what follows, but hope it might be of some interest to those with the patience to wade through it. Big Grin

First to the auction Charlie pointed out...

The seller corrected the description to C225821 which according to Hamilton was 1948 production. The dial is a non-argumentative number 379 melamine dial normally associated with 992B movements, but I'd question it as being correct for a watch that early. The 1948 time-frame is I should think also far too early for the serial number R603033 on the Case 16 it is in. Please read on.

As a "benchmark" I have a truly un-carried, new-old-stock 992B number C419726 definitely from after 1954 and presumably correct as 1955 production. It is housed in Case 16 with R508733 serial number (and dial 379) documented and confirmed on the factory label. Bottom line, the auction example clearly is a 1948 movement with an apparently mid-1950s or later case and dial combination.

Now as to how this does or does not relate to David's watch...

I can state that most Star cases (except the Stainless Steel Case 15) from the same time-frame as David's circa 1952 production example had a vertical brushed "butler-finish" on the case-back. The boxes and papers example I cited above is my best reference. But the real question before us, raised by David's watch is whether or not the Case Model 2 which was made by Wadsworth (not Star) would have also started out with such a finish. The best reference for that would of course be an unused, boxed example with no engraving and an original, in-tact factory finish on the case-back.

We may not have that, but we do have at least one source of reference. In my collection is Wadsworth Case Model 2 from 1949 with J114374 as serial number. The serial number is somewhat lower than David's number J346887 as it should be. This one may be of help because it also has a similar engraving on the back. And, unlike David's it has not been over-polished because distinctive remnants of the original vertical butler finish is in evidence. Due to the butler finish appearing right up to the edge of the monogram, I believe that helps answer Terry's question as to how these cases started out.

Also, Hamilton offered an engraving and personalization and I feel my watch case may have been engraved at the factory. The impression I have is that David's case was engraved at the point of sale by the retail jeweler or someone associated with them. That could also explain the recipient's name being penciled-in on the box label presumably by the salesperson. Following the sale then, it was to be monogramed, which is a logical conclusion. Pure speculation, but a very distinct possibility.

Now, that brings us to the "over-polished" look which David speculates may have been done on a buffing wheel. Again, we are left to speculate, but my bet is the case may have been scratched at some point and it could then have been heavily polished to get rid of the offending scratch or scratches. Another explanation would have it being done as preparation for resale before David bought it. I have seen overzealous over-polishing actually cause far more harm than good. Any polishing should be approached with extreme caution. Me, I polish very, very carefully and only by hand with a soft cloth.

Some time back I had the distinct pleasure of holding David's 992B and the over-all condition is truly amazing. The impression I had is of watch carried occasionally but certainly not in daily use. Any way you slice it, David has a beautiful watch there, but what term might most correctly describe it? It's not a coin but Phil's coin grading explanation may be reasonable much as I dislike the "M" word. Joel Sarich made two very important points, in fact all the opinions have been quite worthwhile. Frankly, Robert's "pristine" rings true to me and I think that might just be the most appropriate one word description to use.

Below a similar engraving on another Case 2 example...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Closer look at details on that Case 2 referenced above...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
David,
Extremely nice watch, I'm just curious, does the inner box have a label, is so would you mind posting?

Thanks,
Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Robert,

The inner box has no label attached. The only label is on the outer cardboard box.

IHC President
Life Member
posted

That too is correct for the early to mid 1950s time frame.

Wink

Picture of Robert M. Sweet
posted
David,
Thanks for sharing your spectacular 992B.

Lindell,
Thanks for the label info. Did they later use the label again?

Robert

Posts: 553 | Location: Southwest Virginia U.S.A. | Registered: December 27, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Robert,

I'm sure Terry Hall can tell us when the label on the inner "cigarette-style" box was discontinued.

Once they quit using it, the inner label was never revived. Like much of American industry, cost-cutting moves and efficiency in production nearly always took precedence in the watch business.

As I said above, David's watch is an amazing example. How do you describe such a beauty?

Lindell

Wink