Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Removing A Crystal "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello Everyone;

I have a junk case with a nice crystal, and a really nice case with no crystal.

Could anyone tell me a safe way to remove the crystal from the not-so-good case? It's an open face 18s silveroid case.

Thanks for any help with this.

Bud

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
posted
Bud if the bezel can be removed from the case you can find a warm object and put the bezel on the warm object with the threads down and crystal up. If you have a pair of cloth gloves that would prevent hot fingers, and once the bezel has warmed up it will expand and if you pick it up you should be able to pop the crystal loose. When I say warm object that can be a light bulb or a still warm stove burner. It does not have to be extremely hot but warm enough to heat the bezel up so that it expands.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
I actually have a few cases (18s Silverode and Silver) where the crystal is held in from the inside of the bezel by a retaining ring. You'll see the two spots for some kind of removal tool at 180 degrees apart. No amount of heating will do the trick. I'm sure this type has a name and special tool but I don't know what they are.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
posted
If you have a heated ultrasonic cleaner a few minutes in that and the crystal will easily pop out.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010