Internet Horology Club 185
Removing A Crystal

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/9293950767

October 25, 2011, 15:56
Bud Melless
Removing A Crystal
Hello Everyone;

I have a junk case with a nice crystal, and a really nice case with no crystal.

Could anyone tell me a safe way to remove the crystal from the not-so-good case? It's an open face 18s silveroid case.

Thanks for any help with this.

Bud
October 25, 2011, 17:12
Claude Griffith
Bud if the bezel can be removed from the case you can find a warm object and put the bezel on the warm object with the threads down and crystal up. If you have a pair of cloth gloves that would prevent hot fingers, and once the bezel has warmed up it will expand and if you pick it up you should be able to pop the crystal loose. When I say warm object that can be a light bulb or a still warm stove burner. It does not have to be extremely hot but warm enough to heat the bezel up so that it expands.
October 25, 2011, 20:57
Mike Hodge
I actually have a few cases (18s Silverode and Silver) where the crystal is held in from the inside of the bezel by a retaining ring. You'll see the two spots for some kind of removal tool at 180 degrees apart. No amount of heating will do the trick. I'm sure this type has a name and special tool but I don't know what they are.
October 25, 2011, 21:37
Jim Bielefeldt
If you have a heated ultrasonic cleaner a few minutes in that and the crystal will easily pop out.