Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Lancaster Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
Thought I would start a new thread for this in case there was any interest.

The attached picture is of some parts of my Lancaster Ruby pocket watch movement. I have found a bit of information on Lancasters but there is not a lot about. This watch is 18 size and has 10 jewels. The 3 jewels on the top plate do not have mates on the pillar plate. This suggests a cheaper end watch. On the other hand they went to a bit of trouble to stamp the serial number every where. Escape wheel is also marked by hand. Even the minuit wheel is stamped although they got that one wrong. 191026 every else but 191021 on that bit. I believe job securiety was a bit of an issue at Lancaster around that time so perhaps we can forgive a small error. Maybe he got his bits mixed up with another he was doing at the same time. Another nice touch is a small screw that attaches to the pillar plate and the head goes through a hole in the balance cock foot. (did I invent a new term there?) When you remove the balance assy this screw stays behind. When you turn it a flat on the other end releases the ratchet on the main spring so you can let the spring down.

Not something I would have expected to find on a low end watch. Closest I can date this watch is between 1879 and 1886 but towards the later part. The case it lives in is marked 1888. I will add a picture of the movement when it is back together.

Posts: 431 | Location: South Victoria, Australia | Registered: January 18, 2007
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
You can see the extra screw in this picture

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
And the other side showing the flat which acts on the spring

IHC Member 500
Wristwatch Expert
Picture of René Rondeau
posted
Great pictures, thanks for posting. I'm fascinated with Lancaster watches and have several grades, but no "Ruby." I've worked on a few of them and they all have the same screw to adjust tension on the click spring to let down the power. They're very interesting watches.

Posts: 183 | Location: Corte Madera, California USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
I found a few more pictures of Lancaster watches and yes, most of them appear to have the let down screw. I have got mine together and running again. Have added a couple more pictures. It is shown in the brass inner ring of my Muckle case.

Picture of Stephan Gaal
posted
On the face it simply says Lancaster Pa

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
This is my first post on this site, I just joined the IHC. I have this old Lancaster and I'm sure it has a broken balance staff. Additionally, I can't wind it, and there are two hands missing, the hour hand and the second hand.
I'm trying to get the knowledge and courage to tear it down and see if I can repair it. However, I don't know where to find parts? I've searched the net but haven't yet found out where to get parts.
I know I'm in over my head, but figure I gotta start somewhere.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Dave Turner

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1508
posted
Dave and Stephan, since Lancaster eventually became Hamilton, it could very well be possible that some early Hamilton 18s parts might fit these. It's worth a shot. Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Good thought Brad,
I'll try searching for Hamiltons.
Dave

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1508
posted
And Dave, if you're unsure about working on this watch yourself, I highly recommend Chris Abell. He is the master. I can't work on my watches either...bad eyes, shakey nerves, and no patience. I send all of my babies to Chris, and he hasn't let me down yet. Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Thanks Brad, I just emailed him.
Dave

Dave Turner