Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Are all ticks the same? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...couldn't agree w/you more Steve...my PC was some minutes+ late getting me into Standard Time from Daylight this year...'tis why I use the online 'NIST (National Institute of Standards & Technology) timecheck to set my regulating watch...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Steve...You're absolutely right and I completely agree with you.. My computer clock stinks too! The best info I can find states that the clock in your PC and the "clocking circuits" in your PC are not the same....and to further complicate issues the PC clock has two different circuits as well...one when the computer is running and another completely different circuit when it's turned off. I do find that leaving my machine turned on all the time give me a more accurate time than when I shut it down at night and back on the following day....go figure..
If you don't mind sharing your instructions for the G47 I'd be happy to accept responsibility for them, copy them and return them them to you along with a copy of the factory schematic that I already have. Thank you for your kind offer.
I'll email you right after Christmas with an addy. Merry Christmas!
Best Regards,
Bill

Posts: 170 | Location: Los Angeles California USA | Registered: October 20, 2003
IHC Member 274
Life Member 27
Picture of Jack Goldstein
posted
Steve is correct, to do the job right you need the right tools. For a hobby you can use this method and that method, and I'm sure you can get pretty close. But I'll bet that that the only method used in railroad time service, one that would be as right on as right on can be is to time your watches with a timing machine. Can you see Webb C. Ball instructing time service certified watchmakers to hold a 21J Hamilton Ball beside a stopwatch. Calling something a hobby doesn't let one off the hook from doing the job right, the first time. I've seen the older tube type Vibrograph machines, at the right place at the right time, go for from one to two hundred dollars. Just something else to keep your eyes open for.
Jack

Jack Goldstein

Posts: 465 | Location: Tontitown, Arkansas USA | Registered: July 25, 2003
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Jack,
My understanding is that electronic timing machines were not introduced until just after WWII, so Webb C. Ball would never have seen one.
Prior to their introduction, watchmakers used to check the rate on watches in their shop by running them for 24 hours and then comparing them to a jewelers regulator clock. The clock was checked by daily comparison with the U. S. Naval Time Signal sent out by Western Union telegraph from Washington, D.C. at noon every day. If you look at a photo of an old watchmaker's shop you will frequently see a vertical board with hooks on it, for checking watches in the 'pendant up' position.
The wach companies had huge banks of watches running in different positions for adjusting to positions. The time and expense of these operations added considerably to the cost of an adjusted watch, and is the primary reason why they were so much more expensive to purchase.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
I seem to recall that horological rate recorders (or timing machines) were invented and developed by Bell Labs in the 1930s, but that's from my occasionally erroneous memory, and I can't find a source for it right now. In any event, suffice it to say that people interested in top-quality work, have in all ages sought the best technology available at the time. I very seriously doubt that today, a top-notch professional draftsman would be found working with a T-square and compasses, but that's just an "educated" guess.

Perhaps the image below of a 1930s time testing laboratory may be of interest. Note the large cylinder labeled "A," which is very similar to the much smaller cylinders employed in the early WatchMaster rate recorders:

===================

SM

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Another image from the same source as above....

This one shows a thermal testing cabinet, which is filled with trays of watches, and what appears to be at least two ships' chronometers:

Posts: 618 | Location: North Little Rock, Arkansas USA | Registered: December 05, 2002
posted
All ticks are not the same. A couple of weeks back I listened to the ticking of a Chinese Duplex. The owner said that it sounded like a "choo-choo train" and guess what, it really did! It made a totally different sound. It was very cool indeed.
B

Posts: 97 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: December 21, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
All duplex escapements (such as are used in old Waterburys, etc.) sound that way because their balances receive impulse in only one direction.

The sound produced by such escapements is something on the order of: TICK - tock - TICK - tock - TICK - tock.......

When their beat is correctly adjusted, the "ticks" and "tocks" still occur at roughly equal intervals, but their intensities are vastly different.

====================

SM

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Thanks for the pictures Steve, can you comment on the laboratory?, was it from a watch manufacturer, university, national lab...?, if so was it for reference testing?

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
I had missed Steve's offer and ended up going to Uncle Larry's for a reprint of the G-47 booklet. Even though it had to be at least a slight inconvenience and expense for him he didn't want any money for it once he'd sent it out. I'll be certain to repay him one way or another as soon as possible.
Bill C:

Has Steve M. sent you a copy of the booklet? If so, there's no need to make a copy for me as I as I obviously already have one. I had told Larry that there was someone else who wanted one but he only sent me the one. Please let me know if you want me to make you a copy or perhaps Uncle Larry made a few of them for sale on his site. If so, I can assure you that they'll be of better quality than anything I'd copy for you.

B

Posts: 97 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: December 21, 2002
Watch Repair Expert
posted
Somehow, I missed the last reply above by Carlos when he originally posted it. Sorry about that Carlos!

The images above are from a 1941 U.S. Department of Commerce, National Bureau of Standards booklet, entitled "Testing of Timepieces, Circular C432." The text doesn't specifically say that the images are from the laboratories of the National Bureau of Standards, but I strongly suspect that such is the case.

Brian -- My offer still stands, but I haven't received any additional communication from Bill (such as his mailing address, etc.). To tell you the truth, I'd actually forgotten about the subject until just now, and that may well be the case with Bill, or he may have been really busy -- which is something to which I can easily relate!

============

SM

Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Thanks for the info about the lab Steve!

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003