Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Octava U.S.A.P "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi friends,

I need some help about an pocket watch signed Octava.

Sorry by newbie questions.
What means u.s.a.p and MKV? I looked for information in google, but I received a lot of pages and did not find any that response me.

Looking in the forum I found the information that these watches was used in first war.

Bellow is some photos.

Tks,

Paulo

Posts: 5 | Location: Sorocaba, SP Brazil | Registered: June 23, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Paulo, welcome to IHC, Ragarding your Octava, it is reported as an 8 Day movement in a book titled "Pocket Watches, 19Th & 20Th Century" by Alan Shenton who gives the following information;

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
They also show some pictures of the Patent and another watch like yours. "MKV" is a British Military designator often referring to the latest design "revision" of the item.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The Patent appears to show a very large mainspring. Have you tested the running time of this watch?

posted
Hello David,

Thanks by information. I did not tested it, I received it yesterday.

What means U.S.A.P?

Tks,

Paulo

Posts: 5 | Location: Sorocaba, SP Brazil | Registered: June 23, 2006
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
United States of America Patent Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Paulo, I have no answer for what U.S.A.P. means here. The catalog picture is Pre WWI and it is British military, so there is no clear connection to the USA. Perhaps U.S.A.P. refers to some commercial enter[rise that distributed these watches.

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
For Fun I found,
U.S. Antarctic Program (USAP)

USA Perpignan, a rugby union club in Perpignan, France.

Unacknowledged Special Access Program
Link

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
David,I have one of these 8 day movements in what looks to be from a travel clock.8 days,15 jewels,adjusted 3 positions,U.S.A.P.816321.Runs8 days on a full wind and is very accurate.If you look at plate 14 in the drawings you posted it says USA patent.Regards.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Tom is correct with USAP standing for United States Approved Patent, if you notice the number after USAP is 816321. That is the US patent number and it is also the same number in the image Dave posted of the patent.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Here is the image for the patent, the same one Dave posted.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The text for the patent