Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is it? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
posted
I have this 14S watch marked A.W.Co. Waltham, Mass. and also says Bond St. on the movement. Serial number 2378342. Is it real or a Swiss Fake? It has an uncut balance wheel, and is pin set. The balance wheel has balance screws that are not perfectly evenly spaced (watch is running in picture). There is no name on the dial. I believe the case to be original, but unusual in that the front bezel snaps on and the rear screws on. Unfortunately someone tried to pry the back off so there is a little damage, but not too bad.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Roger

I think yours is real, Waltham made 14s Bond St that some were pin or detent set. These are unadjusted so I think that is how the balance wheel was made.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Looks right to me . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Guys...I knew it wouldn't take long for this group to have the answer. I wonder if the dial has been replaced or if they didn't put the name on some of them. Also, I don't recall seeing very many American pin set watches. Are they more unusual?

Roger

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I believe the Waltham mdl 1857 went from plain dial to a lettered dial about 1858.
With yours being made in 1884 I would tend to believe it should have a lettered dial, but?

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I think this was an export model, and if so that may explain an option for unmarked dials.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
I am very fond of Imperial British Walthams, I mean AWWCo exported in UK, and I have noticed the blank lettering question, i.e. that as a rule watches sold by UK Cos. not in the Watchmakers' Guild have blank dials, and when the seller was a Guild member, even a tiny one man operation, proudly sported the seller's logo. This is so clear that today I have received an absolutely beautiful, minty 18s Martyn Square, whose ser.number has even the "Eng." remark on the Gray Book, and the case is signed by the "A.B" of Alfred Bedford and the dial ... see third picture.
First picture, "the works"

Posts: 277 | Location: Cardano al Campo in Italy | Registered: March 29, 2008
posted
ops ... was the case, "the works" follow

posted
and finally fully lettered dial. Exception or non existant rule ?

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Good call David!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Thank you again guys...the collective knowledge here is just amazing. Being export would also explain the pin setting since this was common in Europe.

Roger