Internet Horology Club 185
What is it?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/88110852

February 18, 2009, 19:35
Roger J. Nolfe
What is it?
I have this 14S watch marked A.W.Co. Waltham, Mass. and also says Bond St. on the movement. Serial number 2378342. Is it real or a Swiss Fake? It has an uncut balance wheel, and is pin set. The balance wheel has balance screws that are not perfectly evenly spaced (watch is running in picture). There is no name on the dial. I believe the case to be original, but unusual in that the front bezel snaps on and the rear screws on. Unfortunately someone tried to pry the back off so there is a little damage, but not too bad.

February 18, 2009, 20:39
Tom Brown
Roger

I think yours is real, Waltham made 14s Bond St that some were pin or detent set. These are unadjusted so I think that is how the balance wheel was made.

Tom
February 18, 2009, 22:04
David Abbe
Looks right to me . . .

February 19, 2009, 08:21
Roger J. Nolfe
Thanks Guys...I knew it wouldn't take long for this group to have the answer. I wonder if the dial has been replaced or if they didn't put the name on some of them. Also, I don't recall seeing very many American pin set watches. Are they more unusual?

Roger
February 19, 2009, 10:24
Edward Kitner
I believe the Waltham mdl 1857 went from plain dial to a lettered dial about 1858.
With yours being made in 1884 I would tend to believe it should have a lettered dial, but?
February 19, 2009, 13:02
David Abbe
I think this was an export model, and if so that may explain an option for unmarked dials.
February 19, 2009, 15:01
Mario Pagani
I am very fond of Imperial British Walthams, I mean AWWCo exported in UK, and I have noticed the blank lettering question, i.e. that as a rule watches sold by UK Cos. not in the Watchmakers' Guild have blank dials, and when the seller was a Guild member, even a tiny one man operation, proudly sported the seller's logo. This is so clear that today I have received an absolutely beautiful, minty 18s Martyn Square, whose ser.number has even the "Eng." remark on the Gray Book, and the case is signed by the "A.B" of Alfred Bedford and the dial ... see third picture.
First picture, "the works"

February 19, 2009, 15:03
Mario Pagani
ops ... was the case, "the works" follow

February 19, 2009, 15:04
Mario Pagani
and finally fully lettered dial. Exception or non existant rule ?

February 20, 2009, 14:16
Edward Kitner
Good call David!
February 20, 2009, 22:10
Roger J. Nolfe
Thank you again guys...the collective knowledge here is just amazing. Being export would also explain the pin setting since this was common in Europe.

Roger