• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

help with information on this Keystone watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, I picked up this watch recently. I can't find anything about it. It is in a Philedelphia watch case co, full hunter case. The face is unusual. Its made by the keystone watch co USA. Its a 14 size (I think). That's all I know. It as had the screw that holds the hairspring to the balance cock snap off and a bad attempt at repair. The staff is fine and it tries to run when the hairspring is held in place. Id really like to fix it up, so if anybody has a scrap cock lying about, or knows where I could get one........Id be happy to put it to good use.

Posts: 35 | Location: Victoria in Australia | Registered: July 30, 2013
posted
I would really like to post a photo, but jpg aren't supported and it says my files are too big! What am I doing wrong?

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Extremely large images cannot be viewed by those with slower internet connections or smaller screens. Due to those considerations and to avoid overloading storage capacity our system is set up to not accept poster size images.

Click here: How to Photograph Your Watches and Clocks

In there you will find information about sizing your images and posting them on our site.

Click these other links:

HELP IN POSTING IMAGES FOR HOSTING ON OUR IHC185 DISCUSSION SITE

PICASA - EXCELLENT FREE IMAGE PROGRAM

Hope this helps,

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5225 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Hi Paul,
I looked through the gold book, and found a listing for your watch. It is size 16, 15 jewel, pendant set and was made by New York Standard Watch Co.,model 6. The movement diagram pictured appears identical to the layout of your watch's movement. I hope this helps you. Regarding posting pics, I use the software that came with my camera to resize images.
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Thanks, that's a great help. There doesn't seem to be any around. I thought it was smaller at 41. 2 ish mm. But I'm still new at this and it does compare to a 16s 1888 waltham and a 17s waltham equity that I have. I found one the same on a site, but can't find it now. What I really need is a scrap movement. Its nothing special I know, but its sort of calling to run again. The plate is almost bronze in appearance. I,ll just keep watching for one. Maybe I will get lucky.

posted
By the way Gary, what is the Gold Book?

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Paul,

Gold book's real title is "American Pocket Watches- Identification and Price Guide- Beginning To End- 1830-1990", written by Roy Ehrhardt & William "Bill" Meggers.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Your watch is a New York Standard knockoff of the much nicer quality South Bend Model 1.

NYS/Keystone were well known for copies of other (more expensive) watch layouts. Clearly they hoped to to market these as similar quality by appearance.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks David, they are very alike. I'm sure many other makers did similar tricks. Maybe that will give me other options to source the part I need.

posted
It is just strange that the castings have been left with the sand finish. It looks almost by design. The face and hand are sort of military in style.