WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question on winding mechanism of Waltham model 1883 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Good morning all,
I have a 1892 model 1883 size 18 that will set hands but not wind. When taken apart I found 2 pieces of spring, that if it should be one piece, would be in the shape of a barbell. It appears this spring would move the gears back and forth to wind or set the movement. Hope my explanation is correct and helpful. Failed in my attempt to send a photo.
Thanks for any help, Don

Posts: 169 | Location: Adrian, Michigan in the USA | Registered: June 09, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The The Model 1883 Waltham 18s "Barbell" (I call it 'Dumbell') is fragile indeed. The hardness varied so much that some collapse after time and others break like glass. I have one (pictured below is it Eek) you can have if that is what you need. Please confirm your address to me at;

david@glopar.com

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
David,
Thanks for the part & thanks for the picture. This shows me exactly how it should be installed.
Many thanks, Don

posted
Thanks Dave,
I received the "Dumbell" spring in the mail today.
Don