Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Dial cleaning advice "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Dave Keefe
posted
Hello all. I picked up this nice size 12 1936 Waltham Colonial Riverside. There is some dirt on the dial and I wonder if there is guidance on cleaning it. What is the possibility that the dial would be ruined if I tried? Thank you in advance for your help!

dial

Posts: 92 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: November 24, 2020
Picture of Dave Keefe
posted
front with bezel

dial and bezel

Picture of Dave Keefe
posted
...and the movement

mvmt

Picture of Dave Keefe
posted
Bonus question. Any guesses on what "First Class" was? Top of the class in school, at work??

back

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I've seen far worse dials. I'd leave the dial alone. The only watch dials that can reasonably safely be cleaned are enamel dials. Painted metal dials like your dial are fragile. Anything you do to clean the dial, apart perhaps from very gently brushing away any dust or dirt particles, likely will damage it. The only safe alternative is to find a replacement dial you like. You probably can find one in good condition that isn't too expensive. Because your watch isn't a rare or scarce collector's item, I wouldn't hyperventilate about installing a different style dial that you like. A more expensive and less satisfactory alternative would be for you to have the dial refinished. A few firms specialize in refinishing dials. They usually do a good job, too good a job in my opinion. Refinished dials often look disconcertingly new. Worse, the refinishers have a hard time making dial signatures look original and sometimes they change the fonts or even the design. I speak from considerable hard experience. I now only would have a dial refinished if finding a good, unrefinished replacement dial would be difficult and I cannot stomach the existing dial.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
Picture of Dave Keefe
posted
Thank you Ethan.

IHC Member 1338
posted
I'm with Ethan. Dial to me isnt that bad and you will ruin it trying to clean. You cant clean a metal dial it is what it is. Leave it be and enjoy it. My .02

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
posted
I know this is not where this goes but I can't get into other topics due to my membership expired. I have emailed the administrator 3 time over a month with no reply. Can someone contact them or tell them I need help with my membership?

Thank you,
Larry

Posts: 81 | Location: Maryland in the USA | Registered: October 22, 2019
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Larry,

I double checked our ihc185@roadrunner.com eMail and find no record of anything sent from you.

So, I just sent you a message to your "verizon" eMail with the subject line title
"Test Message" for you to respond.

Debbie

Dr. Deborah L. Irvine
IHC Administrative Assistant
Membership and Marts Coordinator

Contact eMail: ihc185@roadrunner.com

Smile

Posts: 5200 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Debbie
I replied did you get my email?
Larry

posted
Debbie
Did you get my e-mail?

Larry

IHC Member 1338
posted
Larry;

Just paypal $12 to ihc185@roadrunner.com with your name and email address and Dr Debbie will do the rest

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
Administrative Assistant
posted

Larry,

None of your eMails have been received. I checked the roadrunner spam box and they are not there.

Do you have another eMail that you can try to send a message thru?

Tom Dunn is correct.

If you would like to renew your IHC185 Membership, you can renew here:

Support the Internet Horology Club 185™

Sending payment via PayPal will still come thru even if your current eMail is not being recognized.

Thanks Tom!

Debbie

Posts: 5200 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Debbie
I just sent the money to the ihc185roadrunner.com account.

Larry

Administrative Assistant
posted

Payment received and IHC185 Membership processed.

Thank you.