WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I need help from an Elgin Collector (Mystery solved) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I am starting to get into my Elgin movements to sell you know where so if anyone is looking for anything please let me know. I don't think I have anything highly collectable but I don't know. I don't have anything with more than 17 Jewels.

I have at least 3 G.M. Wheeler's that I am going to list. They all have good balance staffs and the balance wheel swings freely on all but only one runs a little and stops.

I was trying to see what the price guide book value is but I can't find it. I think they are 12s. I see two in the price guide and they are both adjusted to 5 positions. All three of mine are adjusted to 6 positions. Are they listed and I'm just looking in the wrong place?

Thanks,
Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Harry, Keep me in mind. I am constantly looking for non - running watches to repair, polish up and sell to the bid & whine flea market. Or even running watches with problems. After your main sale if you have any left let me know.
Patrick 1616

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Patrick,
I will keep you in mind. I'm still trying to figure out how to quit losing money on the you know where site. When I bought these things long ago I had no intention of selling them so it did not matter if I paid near dealer price for them. I had to quit starting them at 99 cents because that was all anyone would bid for it and with all the fees I was losing money. To make money you need to buy right so you call sell and make money. I did not buy right because I had no plans on selling. My fault.

Now in order to buy what I actually collect I have to sell. I was forced to retire three years ago and with no cost of living raises I am taking home about 7 to 10% less than when I retired.

When all the dust settles I'll try to remember you want the left overs but try to jog my memory every now and then.

That is why I'm trying to find out about the 6 position adjusted Wheeler's to find a price to start them at. It I start them at 99 cents that is probably all I'll get and I'm not letting them go for that. The price guide only list 5 position Wheelers and a search here did not turn up anything.

Thanks for your interest,
Harry

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
How about a list of the serial numbers.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1610
posted
Certainly Dave, s/n 26810896, 23967026, & 25035945. Let me know if you need photos. I need to take photos anyway to list them.
Thanks,
Harry

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
26810896; Size 12, 17 Jewels, Grade 452, 1 of 69,000 c.a. 1923

23967026: Size 12, 17 Jewels, Grade 452, 1 of 69,000 c.a. 1920

25035945; Size 12, 15 Jewels, Grade 315, 1 of 1,033,900 c.a. 1922

Photos of case, movement and dial condition are all important

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Dave,

The information on two of the movements appear correct. 25039545 is not 15 jewel though it is 17 jewel. They all are marked "SIX ADJUSTMENTS" stamped on them under the "17 Jewels". The price guide shows adjusted 5 positions. I will take some photos in a while and put them up so please check back in a few hours.
Thanks,
Harry

IHC Member 1614
posted
Harry, 6 adjustments is not the same as 6 positions, If I recall correctly 6 adjustments = 3 positions, heat and cold and isochronism.

Bill

Posts: 160 | Location: Northeast Ohio in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
That's how I've always understood it too, William.

Harry, are they marked '6 adjustments' or '6 positions'?

It makes a big difference.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hello Bill and Mark,

Now I'm really confused. The Wheelers are marked "SIX ADJUSTMENTS" and in the price guide they are listed as "Adj. 5P". I am reading that as "adjusted 5 positions". Am I wrong?
Thanks

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I think one may need to zoom in really close to the "Adj. __ Positions". I never met a 12sz Elgin that was adjusted to 6 positions, but I would think there may be some since I'm not a very sharp cookie on Elgins.......

Adjustments are a different story, and could include isochronism, heat, cold and "X" number of positions.

5 Positions alone marked on a watch would indicate that the watch is timed to keep time face up, face down, pendant up, pendant right, and pendant left. Most higher grade watches including RR's are timed to 5 positions with the exception being 6 positions and that final 6th position would be pendant down.

With that being said, a 5 Position watch would have 8 Adjustments, and a 6 Position watch would have 9 Adjustments.

Your first & second posts mentioned "positions", then your 4th post mentions "adjustments".

I would feel fairly confident that the GMW's are Six Adjustment's : [ Isochronism/Heat/Cold/3Positions ] I would think the Price Guide has an error in it on most all of the 12sz Elgin's in stating "5 Pos." The price guide is as stated, only a price guide, it has many "positional errors", if you will Roll Eyes

And as always, pictures are worth a thousand words.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Here are a few photos

IHC Member 1610
posted
Front

IHC Member 1610
posted
close up

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
They are marked "Six Adjustments"= isochronism, heat, cold, and 3 positions.

Since marking the movements, "Six Adjustments" was a marketing ploy, it would stand to reason that they stated "all" that they could, however I suppose it could be argued that it refers to Isochronism/Temperature/4 Positions, or even, Isochronism/5 Positions, but then they would of put "Eight Adjustments" on them Smile So I feel secure with 3 Positions [ dial up/dial down/pendant up ]

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Buster for educating me once again and for clarifying the price guide. Now I know the difference between adjustments and positions.

Thanks,
Harry

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
This is something that should be flagged for suggested edits to the 2012 Price Guide. That's something we provide to Cooksey Shugart every year.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1614
posted
Yes it seems that Elgin used this as a marketing ploy to make it seem like something it's not. I'm not knocking Elgins; I'm a big fan but it does seem deceptive to me.

Bill

Posts: 160 | Location: Northeast Ohio in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC Member 1610
posted
I agree. However I do not know enough on how to flag it but if someone will tell me how I'll be glad to do it.
Thanks,
Harry