Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tape residue "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Quick question: Someone scotch-taped the loose crystal to the Hamilton 910 I found at an estate sale yesterday. What is the best (quickest and safest) way to remove the old tape residue from the gold-filled case?

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
alcohol

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Peter,
Do you mean you drink it before starting ???? LOL
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
doh of cours Smile
jk rub the spot with alcohol and the glue will melt away

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Any kind of solvent will work, but don't use on acrylic crystals as they will melt plastic. Windex also or warm soapy water will work on acrylic or glass.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Thanks, guys. I'm guessing that I can use alcohol on an acrylic crystal.

(Glass of wine after.)
kh

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Naptha will effectively and totally remove any adhesive tape residue I have faced for the past 50 years. (Also principal ingredient for Zippo lighter fluid.)

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Oh, thanks, David. Another watchmaker I know loves that stuff.

IHC Member 1342
posted
Hi Ken, the naphtha works great. One other solution that I use also is Kroil - it is a type of penetrating / lubricant (kanolabs.com) I have no affiliation with them, I use it at work and have found many uses for it such as cleaning up lightly rusted watch tools.

Marc Micale

Posts: 143 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: September 16, 2009
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
On lightly rusted watch tools? Another good suggestion.

What do you use for more heavily-rusted tools?

IHC Member 1342
posted
Depends on the tool and the surface to be cleaned, and the purpose the "surface" serves... I think most would agree to stay away from really heavy rust... The time and effort is just too much. But when it is the right thing to do, I like Simichrome polish, or Meguires car cleaner wax, with a good rag, or even a on wood barbecue stick to get into small areas. I use the Kroil to get in, free up threads and wipe off light rust

Lets see what others think, as I could do with more tips myself! Big Grin

Marc Micale

Posts: 143 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: September 16, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
In 2008, I bought a gallon of "Prep and Etch" from Home depot which removes all rust from everything down to watch hands. "Prep and Etch" was formulated to remove metallic oxides from cement driveways and garage floors before they are sealed with Epoxy stuff. After the rust remover has done its job, the metal surface is left with a light grey cast that is easily rubbed off.

It is pictured here de-rusting a set of watch hands. The Home Depot SKU# is on the bottle.

The other is the non-ammoniated, chlorine free bathroom tile cleaner I soak some dials that are clearly coated with ugly, oily, sooty, residue including tars and Nicotine stuff from these early days of freedom prior to the Health Nazi's entering our lives with their dire predictions that living as we had when we were growing up, a person would never pass the age of 10.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
quote:
Prep and Etch"

15.78 / each

UP A BIT

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I bought that at the sale when Home Depot moved their store. The big discount was because it had lost its label.