Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Database Class "A" Railroad watch "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 2149
posted
G'Day, All,
Just ran a 17 Jewel Elgin pocket watch on the Database, and under Railroad, it indicates "Class A."
I'm not familiar with seeing that with regards to RR standard watches on the Database, and wondered if someone could advise what that is supposed to indicate. I've done some quick searches but can't find a reference.
Thanks.........Joe.........

Posts: 70 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: June 14, 2016
posted
This is a modern classification system to provide better specificity for the broad "railroad grade" term. A "Class A" designation is for watches directly advertised for railroad service and would have qualified for service even after requirements became more stringent.

The classifications are described on this page:
https://pocketwatchdatabase.co...rade-classifications

quote:
The "Railroad Grade" classification has been loosely applied to American watches despite the complexity of the changes in railroad approval requirements over time.

In many cases, the term "Railroad Grade" cannot be defined as a binary classification. For this reason, a modern classification system has been created to provide context related to the different levels of railroad approval over time.

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
IHC Member 2149
posted
Thanks Nathan,
As I indicated, I had not come across that.
Do You know if the database (being a work in progress) would be going back to update previous listings or would this just be added going forward where applicable ?
Thanks again for Your response........Joe....

posted
Joe -

Yes, indeed. The database information will be augmented with the modern classifications as time permits. Hope that helps! Feel free to let me know if you have any further questions.

-Nathan

Posts: 49 | Location: Tennessee in the USA | Registered: February 20, 2012
IHC Member 2149
posted
Once again, Thanks very much Nathan.........Joe....

posted
pocketwatchdatabase.com has good desriptions of Class A, B, and C railroad watches. Check it out.

Posts: 5 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: September 12, 2022