Internet Horology Club 185
Database Class "A" Railroad watch

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/8523994797

August 23, 2022, 17:38
Joe Connors
Database Class "A" Railroad watch
G'Day, All,
Just ran a 17 Jewel Elgin pocket watch on the Database, and under Railroad, it indicates "Class A."
I'm not familiar with seeing that with regards to RR standard watches on the Database, and wondered if someone could advise what that is supposed to indicate. I've done some quick searches but can't find a reference.
Thanks.........Joe.........
August 27, 2022, 08:13
Nathan Moore
This is a modern classification system to provide better specificity for the broad "railroad grade" term. A "Class A" designation is for watches directly advertised for railroad service and would have qualified for service even after requirements became more stringent.

The classifications are described on this page:
https://pocketwatchdatabase.co...rade-classifications

quote:
The "Railroad Grade" classification has been loosely applied to American watches despite the complexity of the changes in railroad approval requirements over time.

In many cases, the term "Railroad Grade" cannot be defined as a binary classification. For this reason, a modern classification system has been created to provide context related to the different levels of railroad approval over time.

August 29, 2022, 13:27
Joe Connors
Thanks Nathan,
As I indicated, I had not come across that.
Do You know if the database (being a work in progress) would be going back to update previous listings or would this just be added going forward where applicable ?
Thanks again for Your response........Joe....
August 30, 2022, 06:57
Nathan Moore
Joe -

Yes, indeed. The database information will be augmented with the modern classifications as time permits. Hope that helps! Feel free to let me know if you have any further questions.

-Nathan
September 01, 2022, 16:26
Joe Connors
Once again, Thanks very much Nathan.........Joe....
September 14, 2022, 16:56
Matthew Campbell
pocketwatchdatabase.com has good desriptions of Class A, B, and C railroad watches. Check it out.