Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Removing a glass crystal "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
I probably should have posted this in the repair section, but here goes. Is there a safe way to get a glass crystal out of a bezel without breaking the edge?I have a junk case with a nice crystal, and I want to use it in another one.I thought of maybe turning the bezel around in boiling water without getting the glass in it until it falls out.Anyone have any ideas?

Posts: 1322 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Cleaning ammonia should loosen the glue up. Just soak it for a while.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 1357
posted
Theodore,I just removed one by placing bezel and crystal in pretty warm water for about 30mins.might give it a try.I am sure the ammonia would work also. Roger

Posts: 4085 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks guys, I tried the hot water method, and it came right out with no damage.Take care, Ted.

IHC Life Member
posted
I clean my case's in Household amonnia and Simple Green. Every time there is a Glass crystal in a case I have to re-glue it in place. I use 2 part epoxy to hold my pocket watch crystals in the bezels. I'm not sure if hot water will soften epoxy glue.

IHC Member 1110
posted
Gene, do you use a clear epoxy, or the kind that looks grey?I know they make that UV cement that's supposed to work good.Thanks, Ted.

IHC Life Member
posted
Crystal Adhesive - G-S Hypo Cement. Made for the job. Inexpensive and can be ordered from many online sources.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
For most I use the UV crystal glue with fine needle applicator, a single thin bead around the entire bezel is needed if you set it well under UV light 10-20 minutes will stay there without problem and come out again if needed with a little pressure under two thumbs or if you need to save the crystal boiling for a short time will soften most glues.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Call me old fashioned, but I go by my watchmaker's advice: a round pocket watch glass crystal of the correct size will stay in just fine by friction alone. If you need glue to hold it in, it's too small.

I've always done my glass crystals that way and have never had a problem. However, I have had problems trying to remove crystals that someone glued.

A friction-fit crystal is a lot easier to remove!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
I use the 2 part clear epoxy. I have a uv light and the uv cement. I had a few crystals that did not stay in correctly. Maybe I did not leave it under light long enough.

I have never had a problem removing a crystal. When you are cleaning the case the way I do. The crystals fall right out.

IHC Member 1110
posted
The one I took out had no traces of glue, I submerged only the edge of the bezel and kept turning it to evenly heat just the bezel, and it came right out.Like Ed said, this was really tight by friction alone.Thanks to everbody, Ted.