• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Crown will not pull out - Waltham Traveler "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Waltham Traveler Ser.19,211,147 (c.1913): The watch winds smoothly, ticks beautifully, but I cannot pull out the crown to set the time! I apply up to around 4 lbs force at various crown positions, but there seems to be no available "slot" for pulling out the stem.

What could be the problem here?

Posts: 72 | Location: Athens, Greece | Registered: January 21, 2013
Life Member
posted
I don't know a lot about Waltham's but is it possible a lever set ?

Posts: 131 | Location: Horseshoe Bend, Arkansas in the USA | Registered: May 11, 2013
posted
This is my fourth Waltham Traveler of the same period, and I can assure you, all are stem set. Also, the setting is done by pulling the crown outwards, not pushing inwards.

IHC Life Member
posted
Check for rusted or broken sleeve jamming the stem,
could be tough though to get the movement out to check.
Good luck.

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
First, does the crown "pop" up to set position? If it does and then it will not set, remove the movement from the case and try setting it with a bench key. Out of the case it should stay in "set" unless you push in on the bench key.

If it sets Ok, that usually indicates the collet needs adjustment in the case neck.

If it does not set OK, then you have to dig deeper into the Crown wind and set mechanism.

This is fairly simple. To check it out requires removing the hand, dial, and then lifting the motor bridge. Inspect the mechanism and check for free in-out "snap" of the wind set mechanism.

Unless the clutch spring is broken, there must be something that is not lubed.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Dave and Steve,

To detail the behavior even more, the crown will not "pop" out at all. It will move slightly inwards when pushed and then spring back out. The crown rotates normally and winds smoothly, but the slightest movement outwards is not possible.

posted
Paul

Sounds like the stem is catched and blocked by the sleeve in the winding position.

First check John D. Duvals tutorial:

Stem and Sleeve Assembly

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Paul, I had a crown stuck like that and my watchmaker used a nipper pliers as shown below and was able to pull it right out. It didn't take that much force but it was more than I could apply with my fingers.
He had modified the jaws by rounding the cutting edges so they wouldn't scratch anything. I made one for myself and have used it on a couple difficult cases.
Of course the safest way, if you can get the movement out, is to unscrew the crown and use a sleeve wrench to take out the sleeve and stem to see exactly what the problem is.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
OUCH!!!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Dave, it does kind of remind me of the dentist I had when I was a kid. No Novocaine and a drill that turned about 40 rpm. And he had a few tools that looked like this one.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011