Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 927 Wolff Fink Hunter "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can tell me anything about this Hamilton Pocket watch I've just bought via eBay?

It's a Hamilton Hunter with a very nicely engraved heavy case, and the movement looks quite something!

The details from the movement engravings state:
Wolff Fink - Lead S.D. - 17 Jewels - Adjusted - Safety Pinion - Serial #543703.

It's jewelled all the way to the centre wheel in screw set chatons which appear to be either Gold or Gilt, All the engraving is Gilt infilled, and all the movement screws and reg index plate are Gilt finished.
From what I can glean from the Watch Guide so far, it's a Grade 927 and probably a single roller, but I haven't turned up a date for it yet.

The downside is, it's got a busted staff, don't know if these are available or a 'made to fit' job! and part of the regulator is missing - the acual lever.
Don't have photo's of it yet but will upload some asap.

I love these full plate watches, real works of art!

Any help appreciated.

John

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
John, How about the 12 digit eBay auction number, we can look at it there.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
David, Nothing on there to help ID it, I was being a real 'chancer' bidding on it to be honest!
A hunch just told me it was someting a teeny bit different.
The hinge on the front cover is bust too, but that will fix easily enough.

This was the item description:

"The watch is a gold colour and the front and back has a scroll style patter, the front has come off but should be easy to replace,, the faces says Hamillton, when you open the back it says Premier 503278 the movement is marked Wolff Fink lead P d 17 jewel"

And that's It as far as the burb went - except there's no text anywhere on the movement that says 'Premier' - it's actually engraved on the inner Cuve!.

The listing photo is below.
I have the watch here now, but my camera batteries are flat, so will upload good images later on as long as the site is still up.

Also bought a (18S I think) Waltham P.S. Bartlett full plate job in a screw back/bezel case from the same seller, will put that one up soon too ........... really getting into these American watches, just love the detail and refinements on them.

I can see me carrying the Hamilton!

John

Hamilton Wolff Fink

Posts: 1282 | Location: Northern England, United Kingdom | Registered: January 07, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
John, Lead, South Dakota is next to one of the longest running Gold mines in USA. It is just "up the hill" (past the mine entrance) from "Deadwood" of national fame as a sinful place in the late 19th century. (Where I have also spent many a day at the "Old Number 10 Saloon" in my times). Deadwood is just a "hop-Skip-and Jump" up the hill "Sturgis" South Dakota which has the somewhat dubious distinction of hosting the largest (2 million+) annual Harley Davidson Motorcycle rally in the world. (When I first went to them in 1960 a big rally had 10,000 attendees

You can see a satellite image of the area at;

http://www.maplandia.com/saint-helena/st-helena-island/deadwood/

That all said, there are many stories or "Ghosts" lurking in your "Lead S.D." prviate label watch!

Picture of Deadwood/Lead area "back then".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
John

This is a twist, me giving you information on a watch!

In the 1930 census for Lead, South Dakota Wolf Fink is listed as a jeweler born about 1853 in Poland, he was living with his son Louis & daughter-in-law Sara R. His son is listed as a jeweler also & the daughter-in-law as an assistant in the jewelery store.

I will see if I can find more later this evening.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Wow, Thanks for all this info guys, this is getting interesting!
I wonder how it ended up in the UK?

Will get some photo's up shortly.

John

posted
Some photo's finally, hopefully I'll be able to post better quality pic's when I get my head around all the settings on my camera!

I tell you what David, with my track record of family history research, if there's any Ghosts lurking around this watch, they'll make their presence known at some point! Razz

The case appears well brassed in the photo's, which isn't actually so, it's quite even in colour all over.

If anyone has a suitable index lever going spare that could be plated, I'm all ears!

1st up is a shot of the dome.

John

Case engraving

posted
Dial shot, I've left off the dome, which needs the hinge tube replcaing.

John

Dial

posted
A few movement shots

John

Movement 1

posted
Movement 2.
John

Movement 2.

posted
Name Engraving.

John

Name plate

posted
I've noticed the extra case screw mark, so this may be a recase, but everything lines up spot on, and the movement fits like a glove.

When I get a bit more time, I'll dig deeper into the movement and see what's bust on the staff - hopefully no jewels broken!

John

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Nice watch John, strange how a watch from a small town in SD makes it's way to the UK.

I looked through my parts & so far I haven't come across the regulator arm but I will keep checking, wish I could find one, it would get me to get the package off to you with other goodies.

Tom

posted
Very, very nice nice John. Congratulations!!! It sure has traveled alot has in it. Smile

IHC Member 1193

Posts: 216 | Location: Key Biscayne, Florida in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Check with Brian Cavenaugh and see if he has that regulator arm.

Picture of Brian C.
posted
John,
I have the gilt regulator nos. I'll e-mail you.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Many thanks for the comments folks, much appreciated.

Thanks for the Email Brian, Yes please, have sent a reply.
Do you think you may have a staff for it?

Best regards

John

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Yes John,
I should have the staff as well.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
posted
Thanks Brian, Email sent ........

ohhhhhh ..... the joys of fleabay! .........better add a top escape jewel setting plus a roller table and jewel ........ and a couple of jewel setting screws if you have any ........... soon be cheaper to buy a watch Roll Eyes Wink

John

posted
Well, with many thanks to Brian C and Chris Abell, I now have most of the bits needed to revive this beauty.

Got around to stripping it and taking some photo's of its road to rejuvination, and quite an interesting hike too!

These pic's just show some of the foibles of an eBay purchase, and possibly a 'doctored' watch that didn't quite make it!

The roller jewel had been replaced by a brass pin rammed into where the jewel should have been, but the other main fault apart from the broken staff and escape jewel, was a broken jewel on the dial plate, which has been chewed out and replaced with a brass bush!

Somehow I've to create a complete jewel setting to replace this botch!

Will update further down the line as it progresses.

John

1st phot up is the mangled roller table!

Roller table

posted
Interesting replacement for a jewel setting!

JW.

Brass Bush

posted
Balance removal uncovered broken as well as the missing gilt screw!

JW

Top plate

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
John, If the escape wheel end-play governed by that "bushed" dial plate "jewel" is still OK, it may be best left alone. I would concentrate on the important (broken) stuff first and then consider;
1. Leaving that as part of the "ambience" of the piece.
2. Use a top plate mounted jewel that fits the Escape wheel pivot and very carefully thin down the mounting and re-fit it in the dial plate for correct end-play.

As for the roller, I suggest that you get a new roller to replace the one so barbarically disfigured, as I would not trust the size of the roller jewel hole to be correct any more.

posted
Thanks Dave, to be honest, I'm inclined to go along with you on the brass bush replacement - sort of on the lines of 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'

Problem for me, is when I come to dispose of the watch, I wouldn't rest easy leaving a gash repair like that in place, and owning up to it would destroy it's value some I think.

I'll certainly ponder over that whilst sorting out the other stuff, although the watch does deserve being 'done right'.

I got a new roller table and jewel from Brian along with the staff, so that part at least is sorted out.
I mentally 'binned' the table as soon as I saw it ........ after I'd gotten over groaning about it all! Wink

John

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
John

That other Hamilton movement I sent you should be there anyday now, I wonder if you can't get the rest of the parts you need from it, the only thing wrong I can remember about it was someone cut the balance wheel up, for what reason I have no clue. It may have also been missing the roller jewel.

Tom

posted
Many thanks Tom, no signs of anything yet, but will drop you as note as soon as it arrives.
Stuff's been taking anything up to a fortnight to arrive lately though.

Do you know if any plate screws on the movement appear to be anything like those on this one?

John

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
John

You know I can't even remember that much about it now, it sat in a drawer for years, I think the only difference is your is a hunting case movement & the one I sent you is open face. According to the price guide 90% of the parts are interchangeable, so perhaps those screws are.

Tom