Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Case cleaning with ulltrasonic "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1902
posted
Having used my small ultrasonic cleaner on jewellery with great success I would like to clean my pocket watch cases. Silver and gold filled. What do you folks think of this? I know that I will have to dry out thoroughly after cleaning and degrease the winder mechanism but I'm concerned about the glass crystal. Is it likely to fall out and is there anything else I should be concerned about?

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
Picture of Francesco Marco Maraschin
posted
I work at tag during the school holidays, and the head watchmaker there says never leave a watch in the ultra sonic too long [if you put it in with the movement in and all cased up] because there is a chance the glass may pop out [but the crystals in the tags are press fitted in, but I am not sure about the pocket watch crystals].

Posts: 226 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: November 19, 2012
posted
I use my small ultra-sound for cleaning cases all the time.No heat and a product called Blitz.Works wonders.Regards,Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
Picture of Billy Kuhn
posted
Mike I always buff lightly and clean the case in my ultrasonic cleaner. I use a mix of distill water with ammonia about 50/50. This does a great job. After cleaning, dry it very good. I use chap stick on the treads. I never leave the crystal in the case, take it out before you buff. I then use a GS crystal cement putting the crystal back in.

Hope this helps

Posts: 1012 | Location: Killen, Alabama in the USA | Registered: January 15, 2013
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Using our "Find-Or-Search" Feature may provide additional information relating to...

"ultrasonic", "ultrasound", "ultrasound cleaning" and other combinations

...hope this helps,

Smile

Posts: 5236 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1902
posted
Thanks a lot Debbie. Will follow your guidance. I'm still finding my way arround the site!

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013