Internet Horology Club 185
Case cleaning with ulltrasonic

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/8043931187

January 03, 2014, 12:57
Mike Haig
Case cleaning with ulltrasonic
Having used my small ultrasonic cleaner on jewellery with great success I would like to clean my pocket watch cases. Silver and gold filled. What do you folks think of this? I know that I will have to dry out thoroughly after cleaning and degrease the winder mechanism but I'm concerned about the glass crystal. Is it likely to fall out and is there anything else I should be concerned about?
January 03, 2014, 13:23
Francesco Marco Maraschin
I work at tag during the school holidays, and the head watchmaker there says never leave a watch in the ultra sonic too long [if you put it in with the movement in and all cased up] because there is a chance the glass may pop out [but the crystals in the tags are press fitted in, but I am not sure about the pocket watch crystals].
January 03, 2014, 17:25
Norman Mayberry
I use my small ultra-sound for cleaning cases all the time.No heat and a product called Blitz.Works wonders.Regards,Norm
January 03, 2014, 18:37
Billy Kuhn
Mike I always buff lightly and clean the case in my ultrasonic cleaner. I use a mix of distill water with ammonia about 50/50. This does a great job. After cleaning, dry it very good. I use chap stick on the treads. I never leave the crystal in the case, take it out before you buff. I then use a GS crystal cement putting the crystal back in.

Hope this helps
January 04, 2014, 08:17
Dr. Debbie Irvine

Using our "Find-Or-Search" Feature may provide additional information relating to...

"ultrasonic", "ultrasound", "ultrasound cleaning" and other combinations

...hope this helps,

Smile

January 04, 2014, 08:29
Mike Haig
Thanks a lot Debbie. Will follow your guidance. I'm still finding my way arround the site!