Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 16s winding indicator problem "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 525
posted
I hope this doesn`t turn out to be "Mission Impossible".
I have a 16s 1908 model Vanguard WI which I initially thought had a broken mainspring. No such luck. The problem is that the lower screwed part of the barrel arbor( 2 part arbor) has sheared. With it coming from a WI model it has a small gear on the end so the problem is compounded. Have members any ideas on spare part availability. thanks Dek

Posts: 106 | Location: North Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: May 05, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
How about a picture please?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 525
posted
Thanks Dave, The pictures show how a small threaded piece of the lower arbor part, with the gear for operating the WI, has snapped off @ some stage. This bottom piece screws into the top piece to form the complete barrel arbor. I`m guessing the gear was pressed onto the lower arbor during manufacture.

Vanguard MS

Posts: 106 | Location: North Yorkshire, United Kingdom | Registered: May 05, 2005
IHC Member 525
posted
And the complete arbor - bottom should be screwed into top.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I would try to remove the toothed (gear) parts from the broken arbor end. Then a "normal" arbor set could probably be "improved" with that part.

I do have a set of "unimproved" parts from a 19J P.S.B. parts mvt. which could be made available for an appropriate donation to to 10Th anniversary IHC185 celebration fund.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 525
posted
Dave, That would be one solution if the dimensions of the PSB arbor were the same AND there was sufficient length for the gear ring & bearing shaft on the end. I just have visions of the small hard steel gear ring snapping when trying to remove.
In the meantime I`ll keep my fingers crossed in the hope that somebody has a spare complete WI barrel arbor. Dek

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Derek, A couple Key Dimensions to help you check if there is a chance that the little gear just pressesd on.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
After finding a W.I. Arbor on a Watch in here for service, I was able to do some more careful measurements . . .

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
In comparing the two arbors side by side, it looks like the W.I. arbor has a "cap" that is either part of or just holding on the small W.I. gear. Since your arbor is already broken, I would be tempted to take a single edge razer and try working into the seam between the arbor end and the gear and seeing if I could "walk" it off the end of the broken arbor.

Otherwise, you are right, the end arbor part is completly different.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Derek i work on several wind indicators ever year and i am sure the gear would be a press fit on the arbor, it would about impossable too make it as one piece unit..I would have too look but i belive the waltham parts book would list the part that is broke as 2 pieces.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 525
posted
On closer inspection I`m coming to the idea that the gear has a collar ( all one piece maybe) & it is riveted onto the end of the lower arbor & this collar acts as the bearing. I can just make out a concentric circle where the two surfaces meet.

IHC Member 525
posted
For me, it comes down to finding a spare arbor. I honestly don`t think I`ve got the skills to progress much further . Its a pity because the rest of the watch is in nice condition & the Roman numeral dial virtually perfect.
Any of the experienced members willing to have a look ?
Dek

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
If you send me the broken arbor, I could see about removing the pinion and evaluating what it would take to put on my spare arbor set.

IHC Member 525
posted
Thankyou for the offer Dave.
If you email your address to me, I`ll post it to you.
Dek

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Done

In case the email does not reach you just send it to;

Dave Abbe
1025 Vernon Way
El Cajon, CA 92020
USA

IHC Member 525
posted
This is the face of the watch in question. You don`t see too many with Roman numerals. I assume it was made for the UK market.

IHC Member 525
posted
Now for the surprise. I`ve found ANOTHER broken M/S arbor for a winding indicator watch. The gear wheel was relatively loose on the shaft & you can see the gear is substantial, with a collar an integral part of it.
Both broken arbors were hollow in the threaded area which makes me think its a weakness in design.( Not a good thing considering spare parts availability )

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The "new" broken arbor loose part should allow you to more easily fix your watch by fitting that piece to the replacement arbor.

IHC Member 525
posted
Yes Dave, Things are looking a lot more hopeful.
Am now looking out for a local watchman with a lathe who can reduce the diameter of the arbor you sent me.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
After checking with a commercial seller of small precision lathes, you might look for a prototype machine shop, tool maker, medical equipment machine company, or University with a research machine shop.

posted
Derek on your comment about the Roman Numeral dial being (export) UK you are correct. You see the same thing on Elgin, it will have USA on the label somewhere and the dial will be Roman numeral with that double track minute marker. I had one of the "greater minds" from another board comment that how could I say that the Elgin with USA on it was an export watch, I said how often do you see this on Elgin watches and take the time to go to ebay UK and do a search on watches in the UK and see how many have this dial and marking on it. This dial style is very popular in the UK.

Since you are in the UK you probably see them quite often, on the comment about the USA on the dial this is not 100% of the time but a heck of a lot more often than what is seen in US and Canada.

Posts: 1789 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Derek,
It seems that there are very few of the RN Dials.
I have one also, but I believe mine was for a domestic market as it does not have the USA on it.

Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 525
posted
Here is a similar dial to yours Bill with the shorter numerals and the USA printedon it.
I guess all dials were made in the US.?

IHC Member 525
posted
And its Dennison ygf 25 year case, which we know was made in UK, has this fish with "W" in the centre & "American Waltham Watch Company" around the fish. I should "Google" this but I thought some members would recognise what the fish signifies.

IHC Member 525
posted
Well, the Waltham Vanguard WI is now fully operational after repairs -- Thanks to Dave Abbe & Martin Walker, a clock & watch repairman from the City of York.
The 2 part M/S arbor now has a solid lower screwed part, to which the gear is press fitted, & hopefully stronger than the previous hollow piece.
After meantime screws adjustment its running to 3secs/day with regulator mid-position.
So, we didn`t need Tom Cruise after all !