Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 21J BW Raymond Question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Hi all I'm looking at this Elgin and can't find the right price on it in the guide price book ther is no BW with adj to 9 positions only 6

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Peter,

What you have there is an Elgin 571 which was produced between 1946 and 1954 in three variations of movement markings. That is not really "9 positions" but rather it is correctly stated as "9-Adjustments" on the movement. The nine consist of 6 positions plus heat, cold and isocronism. The first watches that come to mind as promoted adding up "8-Adjustments" were the Studebaker Mail-Order watches from South-Bend in 1923 followed by Hamilton on some late-1920s Private label "8-Adjustments" Grade 992 watches. The latter are highly sought-after by astute collectors.

The early Elgin 571 was marked with "8-Adjustments" and in the 1950s in effort to keep up with the Hamilton 992B in a "horsepower race" of sorts Elgin boosted their rating to "9-adjustments" and marked the 571 as such. We have a topic "Elgin 571 A, B and C Variant Questions" where I shared images of the three Grade 571 variants.

That one you show looks to be a very nice example.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
yes I see now thanks.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011