Tools
Reply to Post

MASONIC DIAL, SILVER CASE, 1872 WALTHAM... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Everyone,

Not long ago I came across the Walthan 1872 Model in the images below. It is housed in an apparently original, highly plain-polished A.W.W.CO. Coin Silver Case. On the Waltham production records this movement is listed with a "Special Adjustments" notation. The movement number traces to 1885 from what I could determine. Of course, the big show is this highly detailed Masonic Dial with "E.H. Gammon" personalization tastefully above the seconds register.

Any further information anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Lindell

I was drawn to this truly beautiful 120 year-old watch...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Despite hairlines this sharply detailed dial is impressive...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

The Model 1872 Waltham was way ahead of the industry...

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Lindell,
A beautiful dial indeed! Movement and case are very nice as well! I've not seen anything like it! Really nice Lindell! Pictures belong in "Timekeepers Gallery"! Smile

Is the watch in working condition?

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
That's a beauty Lindell.
Do you know if the dial is signed on the back, O'Hara Dial Co.?
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Stephanie! Yup, thanks to Brian's earlier help it's now a fine one!

Don't know Brian, I've never had it out of the case. Tell us about these. Would a dial like that have been installed by Waltham or the retail jeweler?

Since "Waltham" does not appear on the dial I presume it's the latter.

Lindell

Wink

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Lindell,
I'm not sure who installed your dial but The O'hara Dial Co. specialized in fancy dials. They made dials for Waltham Watch, U.S. Watch Co. of Waltham and many others. They made many other items out of porcelain as well. Some of the other items were badges, pins, buttons, the lids on steins, even porcelain dials on stoves.
One piece of info that our 185 members might find interesting is; On the beer steins that are signed on the bottom, O'Hara Dial Co. The only thing that was made by the factory was the porcelain lid. the mugs were made in New Jersey.
The factory was located about a mile from the Waltham Watch Co. I worked across the street from the dial factory building (which had been closed for years) for 5 years and because I wasn't collecting watches at that time, I never noticed the painted sign on the side of the brick building, "O'Hara Dial Co."
I collect items from this company and have a pretty good collection and info on the company. If you like I can put some of the info that I have, in the mail for you.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Brian,

I took this one along to the Chapter 28 Meeting on Sunday. Everyone liked the watch and several wanted to buy it. They all saw the dial as unusual and probably quite valuable, the name "Daniel O'Hara" was often mentioned. Anything you can share on this fascinating dial or its history would be of great interest.

The dial and for that matter the entire watch is amazing. Brian was able to supply matching screws for both the winding wheels. When I found the watch it had a tall blue screw in one of them which I knew was not right. Now the watch looks more the way it would have appeared to the first owner all those many years ago. Thanks again Brian, you are a tremendous resource.

It would be interesting to see if somehow the "Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons" could help reserach the "E.H. Gammon" name on the dial. This watch was part of a collection of fifty-nine in an estate I purchased through a probate lawyer a few months back. The deceased bought watches around Northern Ohio, Illinois, Indiana and east of here in New York State so I suspect that might be a clue in helping to establish provenance.

Thanks all,

Lindell

Wink

Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Smile Very nice,, Lindell . . . Any Masonic brother, that I know, would relish it dearly.

BTW, do you know the jewel count ?

Timely regards,

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
That style Waltham regulator is called a "tadpole" regulator. I believe that Waltham used it prior to the introduction of their star regulator which is more commonly found.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Ed and Jim,

The Waltham "Grey Book" indicates "16-Jewels" but I'm told these 1872 Walthams may be somewhat higher jewel-count than factory records indicate.

Be sure to check out our IHC185™ "Technical Library and Site Links" area.

Wink

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Lindell

Were you able to find any information on Mr. E. H. Gammon? I was researching O'Hara Dials when I ran across this post.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
1876 chicago directory lists an EH Gammon as a partner in Gammon, Deering and Steward manufacturers of the Marsh Harvester and another EH Gammon as a livery operator,either or both may have been masons Smile

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Tom

I have found a lot of information on that same gentleman, that is why I thought I would ask if Lindell had ever found out details on who had owned the watch.

Tom

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
Tom,You are for sure The Desert Fox in your ability to filter information right out of the ether LOL Eek ,yes I suspected as much in the words you chose and will,both as a watch collector and a mason, watch with interest to see what you came up with !! Smile Have a great day,all ,and remember "TEMPUS FUGIT" Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Tom

If I came across sounding rude, I surely didn't mean it, I know I am not the only one that can find this stuff.

I was doing some research on O'Hara dials when I ran across this post & for the heck of it searched a little & found the guy from Illinois but I thought before I spent a lot of time digging I would see if the info was still needed.

Just bored & always looking to search for something.

Tom

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
quote:
Just bored & always looking to search for something.

Tom: what you are is just bored and incredibly intelligent ,dogged and resourceful at rooting the jewels of info out of the mass clutter of the sands of time my friend!! Eek Wink
No I sure didn't think you were rude,but I do think you're a superior information hunter, which does a wee bit annoy most every lesser being LOL Big Grin

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I think my problem is I just want to fill my head with useless bits of information dealing with the past that give me absolutely no benefit in life.

Tom

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I think a guy who had those skills in his work life is probably well pensioned , and sitting around the pool with a pretty young thing half his age named Sharleen who keeps saying,"now that's a pretty one made by Silverine , honeybunch, much nicer than the yellow one made by 18k!! Now what kind of a mother would it be that would call her kid 18k lovey dove"!!!LOL Wink Cool

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Tom, you amaze all of us with your abilities and tenacity. Smile All I know about Mr. Gammon is what you developed previously, there was another topic where this matter was researched at one point "Show me your Silver Cases" which is all I can find at present. Anything you guys come up with is always very greatly appreciated.

Lindell

Wink

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
The website you start should be called "THE SLEUTH" or "FACTFINDERS INC" Smile with a base price OF $50 for information hunted on demand for anything legal,or anything old that's of interest to anyone who will pay, and believe this Tom,wackier ideas have made others rich beyond our dreams !! best wishes Tom, Slàinte mhòr agad, pronounced slanj'-uh vorr' ah'-kut , Gaelic for "to your great Health" Big Grin

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
and of course PRO BONO for IHC185 Big Grin

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Lindell

I couldn't remember if I had searched for him before or not, I also searched & I couldn't find it here.

Tom
Yeah, I have always thought about charging something to look these things up, I think I pay around $500 a year to access different databases. But working full time as it is I don't know if I would be willing to go to the trouble & start a business, plus it would probably start feeling like work & then I wouldn't want to do it anymore.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is just part of what I have found on Mr. Gammon, I am still trying to find an article listing him as a Mason.

Elijah H. GAMMON

An Old and Highly Esteemed Citizen of Batavia, Who Lived a Long and Useful Life; Accumulated Great Wealth and Expended it for a Good Cause.

The late Elijah H. GAMMON, who was Vice-President of the Plano Manufacturing Co., was born in Lexington, Maine, Dec. 23, 1819, and at an early age began to lean upon his own resources for support, as his parents were farmers, of small means, and unable to even furnish him the education he so much desired and which he acquired by studying nights and working days for the necessaries of life. At the age of nineteen years he began teaching school, but still continued his studies, as he had decided to become a Methodist preacher. In the year 1843 he married Sarah J. CUTTER, and the same year was stationed at Wilton, Maine, with a salary of $100 per year. He continued preaching in this section until 1851, when, on account of the sever climate, he contracted a bronchial trouble that necessitated his removal to a more congenial clime. After careful investigation, and correspondence with friends who had moved to Ill., he with his wife and two daughters, Abbie K. and Sarah M., came west and settled in Ross Grove, DeKalb Co. The country then being new, he opened a select school. In 1852 he united with the Rock River Conference of the M. E. Church, and was stationed at St. Charles. From there he was sent to the Jefferson street church in Chicago, and in 1854 came to Batavia, where he remained pastor one year, of the M. E. church, when he was appointed Presiding Elder of the St. Charles district, which duties he discharged until his health failed him in 1858., when he was confined to his bed for a long time. After his recovery, he was unable to continue in the ministerial work, was placed upon the superanuated list, which relation he maintained until the day of his death. During the year of 1855 occurred the death of his wife, who is buried at this place. In May, 1856, he married Mrs. Jane COLTON, who followed him to their future home, Dec. 23, 1892. His only son Charles Wesley GAMMON was born Sept., 1857, and died at the age of 19 years, of typhoid fever, while attending school at Worchester, Mass. In the year 1859 Mr. Gammon bought an interest in, and became a member of the firm Newton & Co., with home he continued until 1861, when his attention was called to the great demand for harvesting machinery, and he conceived the idea of a large house for distributing them at Chicago. From this thought, came the great distributing firm of Easter and Gammon. In 1864 this firm took hold of the Marsh Harvester and became its general agents for six of the western states. This was the foundation of then great fortune which he accumulated - upwards of two millions. A few years later, Mr. GAMMON acquired an interest in the Plano Manufactory with the Marshes and Stewards and early in 1870 he associated with him, Wm. DEERING, under the firm name of Gammon & Deering. In 1878 he withdrew from active connection with it and spent considerable time traveling in Europe as well as his own country. In 1881 he became associated with W. H. JONES, now President of the Plano Mfg. Co., who with others immediately placed a harvester, the “Light Running Plano,” on the market, which was a most marvelous success, and to-day the factory ranks among the best. The establishing of the Gammon Theological Seminary at Atlanta, Georgia, and the beautiful and spacious M. E. Church, of Batavia, will stand as fitting monuments to the memory of the Christian gentleman. He departed this life at his home in Batavia, July 3, 1891. [Batavia Herald, 7 April 1893]

I tried to find him in any Mason rolls I could find with no luck, however I did find where it was common for Ministers of his faith to join the Masons. Also I had seen where there was some kind of uproar back in the late 1800's about Minister's joining the Masons, so I don't know if that might be why it wasn't mentioned in his obituary.

posted
A beautiful dial to be sure. Not only from an artistic sense but also from a masonic sense. Judging by the comments that have come from it's being posted here for everyone to admire there are a few masons amongst us of which I am one of. I personally find the dial intriguing because of the symbols that are being used and cannot help but wonder what kind of a Lodge this fellow belonged to. Certainly the symbols at the 1,4 and the 10 position are nothing that I can place from the A.F.&A.M. of Canadian Lodges. The symbol above the center is also different in that it appears as a cuff perhaps of a Grand Lodge Officer? If anyone knows the origins of the signs I would be very interested to here from them.
Cheers.........John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
not a cuff brother John,rather the Keystone symbol of the Mark Master Mason in Royal Arch Masonry

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I am not a Mason but this is what I could locate about the other symbols you asked about.

The Masonic Shoe is symbolic of a physical confirmation of a spoken deed.

The lamp is a symbol of knowledge.

The Anchor is an emblem of hope.

posted
Brother Tom, thank you for the education, alas I am of the Scottish Rite and would never have guessed in a million years. Tom Brown I thank you as well for even further education on the symbols of the watch dial. All is well with the world again. Thanks, John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005