WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Show me your Silver Cases (even silver in color only) "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Although I really like a gorgeous Gold Case, I sure love the look of a Silver Case too, and the design can be anything, I like tham all.

Sterling, Coin, even if it's silver in color only.

Show off your Cases, I would love to see them.

Tell me who the maker is too, if you can.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Shelia
This case is a Keystone 14K gold filled. It houses a 23j Waltham Vanguard. I have only seen one other like it, a gold one.

Photo, courtesy of Chris Abell.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Great topic, I would enjoy sharing a few!

Perhaps you'll find this interesting, years ago when I was beginning to get really serious in this hobby a major dealer and collector told me his buyers would not spend as much for White-Gold-Filled cases as they would for Yellow. He said he had found that most folks could not tell the difference between Nickel, Chrome, Silver or White-Gold-Filled so they would not pay as much for White and for that reason he tended to concentrate on Yellow. I told him I would be very willing pay extra for any top condition White case. That policy has served me well in establishing my watch collection.

Here is a 1920s "Ball-Model" Stirrup-Bow WGF case...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Oh my goodness, I knew I would see some beauties, but

WOWOWOWOW!!!!

They are Gorgeous.

Edward,
I love the Bulk! and the design is out of sight.
She's a Beauty!

Lindell,
That is absolutly fantastic, so Formal.
At least to me.

I noticed on both of these, that they both look more rounded in the design, and not super sharp and straight. I like that.

Straight is perfect if the entire case is the same, but when they used curves, what a joy!

It seems to soften the watch, maybe because of the silver color?

I have to admit that cases with lines have their place too, and some are wonderful, but I seem to like the rounded design look the best.

These are two examples of real Art.

Wonderful!

Sheila

Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Lin,
You realy know how to tease a guy! Please don't tell me that beauty houses a Waltham movement!

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Heres a Coin Silver Elgin M.D.Ogden KWKS "Hunter" case in "normal" incandescent lighting

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Now we're talkin!

I love it, these are magnificent.

I only have a few of these, but I do like them the most,

lots of "doors" hehehe

This one has a Fusee in it, but I love the case even more.

Now, if I could just find my ultimate silver case!

Am I EVER going to get organized?

Sheila

fusee234-2

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Hi Yo Silver!

Ed, that particular one is a Ball-Hamilton but the last Ball-Waltham movements were still around in the mid 1920s when that case came on the scene. I had one a few years ago, they do show up occasionally.

Let's look at another one, this is an unusually nice Coin Silver case that holds no only an interesting movement but fronts one of those one-in-a-million dials. Take a look at this topic...

Click for:
MASONIC DIAL, SILVER CASE, 1872 WALTHAM

Perhaps we can get a handle on exactly who E. H. Gammon was. Roll Eyes Sheila? Big Grin Tom?

Waltham Watch Company Coin Silver Case Markings...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Lindell

That is a great looking watch & dial, this could be your Gammon.

Elijah H. GAMMON

An Old and Highly Esteemed Citizen of Batavia, Who Lived a Long and Useful Life; Accumulated Great Wealth and Expended it for a Good Cause.

The late Elijah H. GAMMON, who was Vice-President of the Plano Manufacturing Co., was born in Lexington, Maine, Dec. 23, 1819, and at an early age began to lean upon his own resources for support, as his parents were farmers, of small means, and unable to even furnish him the education he so much desired and which he acquired by studying nights and working days for the necessaries of life. At the age of nineteen years he began teaching school, but still continued his studies, as he had decided to become a Methodist preacher. In the year 1843 he married Sarah J. CUTTER, and the same year was stationed at Wilton, Maine, with a salary of $100 per year. He continued preaching in this section until 1851, when, on account of the sever climate, he contracted a bronchial trouble that necessitated his removal to a more congenial clime. After careful investigation, and correspondence with friends who had moved to Ill., he with his wife and two daughters, Abbie K. and Sarah M., came west and settled in Ross Grove, DeKalb Co. The country then being new, he opened a select school. In 1852 he united with the Rock River Conference of the M. E. Church, and was stationed at St. Charles. From there he was sent to the Jefferson street church in Chicago, and in 1854 came to Batavia, where he remained pastor one year, of the M. E. church, when he was appointed Presiding Elder of the St. Charles district, which duties he discharged until his health failed him in 1858., when he was confined to his bed for a long time. After his recovery, he was unable to continue in the ministerial work, was placed upon the superanuated list, which relation he maintained until the day of his death. During the year of 1855 occurred the death of his wife, who is buried at this place. In May, 1856, he married Mrs. Jane COLTON, who followed him to their future home, Dec. 23, 1892. His only son Charles Wesley GAMMON was born Sept., 1857, and died at the age of 19 years, of typhoid fever, while attending school at Worchester, Mass. In the year 1859 Mr. Gammon bought an interest in, and became a member of the firm Newton & Co., with home he continued until 1861, when his attention was called to the great demand for harvesting machinery, and he conceived the idea of a large house for distributing them at Chicago. From this thought, came the great distributing firm of Easter and Gammon. In 1864 this firm took hold of the Marsh Harvester and became its general agents for six of the western states. This was the foundation of then great fortune which he accumulated - upwards of two millions. A few years later, Mr. GAMMON acquired an interest in the Plano Manufactory with the Marshes and Stewards and early in 1870 he associated with him, Wm. DEERING, under the firm name of Gammon & Deering. In 1878 he withdrew from active connection with it and spent considerable time traveling in Europe as well as his own country. In 1881 he became associated with W. H. JONES, now President of the Plano Mfg. Co., who with others immediately placed a harvester, the “Light Running Plano,” on the market, which was a most marvelous success, and to-day the factory ranks among the best. The establishing of the Gammon Theological Seminary at Atlanta, Georgia, and the beautiful and spacious M. E. Church, of Batavia, will stand as fitting monuments to the memory of the Christian gentleman. He departed this life at his home in Batavia, July 3, 1891. [Batavia Herald, 7 April 1893]

Gammon

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Tom,
I came in to post what I had, and boy, did you hit the jackpot!

I only have the 1860 and 1870 Census records.

Here's what I have.

It says in the 1860's Ill. Census that he was a Carriage Manufacturer and had a Personal Estate Value of $80,000.00 married to Jane C Colton and two children. Sarah 10 and Charles 2.

In the 1870's the income changed to Real Estate Value of $25,000.00 and Personal at $15,000.00
and that he was Selling Machinery.

I also have a listing for an E.H. Gammon that was a Confederate soldier in the Civil war and served from 1861-1865. He was a private in the 17th Alabama Regiment Company H. Of course I have no idea if this one is the same E.H. Gammon but thought I would mention it.

Tom, great picture too.

Sheila

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Hi Sheila

Good to hear from you! I don't know if the E.H. I found is the one off Lindell's watch but I think he is possible, seems to be from the area Lindell mentioned. I tried to find him in any Mason rolls I could find with no luck, however I did find where it was common for Ministers of his faith to join the Masons.

Tom

posted
Tom,
Good to hear from you too!

I bet he was the one you listed.

The reason, well, when you check the Census and there are only about 2-3 of them, it's a pretty good hit. My guy is the same as yours, so I think we may have a winner.
The only one I was not sure of was the Civil War guy, because I couldn't connect him as the same person for sure. Not enough information.

I just love it when we find names to go with the watches we have.

Sheila

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Tom and Sheila,

Not only am I impressed, I am very grateful. It sure looks like you've found him and pretty much verified the identity, all the dates and circumstances fit perfectly. It occurs to me that if we could determine Mr. Gammon's lodge specific lodge affiliations then contacting them could provide additional information. Nearly all the dots are connected and it looks like that watch takes on some additional importance.

Again, thanks a million for all you do!

Lindell

Wink

posted
I have two silver cases, both can be seen in the Ball Research Forum. One is for the 936. Only 7 known survivors out of 87 produced.

The other is a 938 Ball. There are only 11 known survivors from this run of 100 and 8 of them are private label jewelers watches, only three of them are marked Ball and Co.

One of the nice features of the silver cases is that I believe a skilled metal worker can work out the dings and dents that have accumulated over time. I pretty much leave them alone and do no harm. I am pretty bad with tools and mechanical skills.

Happy hunting,

Bill Kapp

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Lindell

Doing a little more looking I found there were apparently two E.H. Gammon's that moved from Maine to Il. This is some I found "It seems there is a lot of confusion between the two Elijah cousins because both were of the same generation, both born in ME, both moved to IL and both had the same first name and middle initial. Elijah H. son of Elijah was a farmer. Elijah H. son of Samuel founded the Theological Institute."

Also I had seen where there was some kind of uproar back in the late 1800's about Minister's joining the Masons, so I don't know if that might be why it wasn't mentioned in his obit.

Tom