Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Wadsworth hallmark question "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Wadsworth hallmark question

I'm sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't seem to find definitive information about this anywhere. I'm trying to figure out exactly what the below hallmark is. Looking in the big book, I see the mark with the words Trade Mark on either side, but not one with just the mark alone. I'm assuming that the case is still gold, I just don't know for sure what it is or if the lack of "Trade Mark" changes anything. Any thoughts or ideas? I should have the watch in hand in a week or so, so I can post clear pictures then.
Thanks for any help.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Here's a pic of the actual mark, just in case it helps. Thanks again.

Posts: 257 | Location: Worthington, Ohio in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
IHC Member 1555
posted
To my knowledge Edward this is the trademark for a "14k Gold Filled, Warranted for 25 Year" caseSmile

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Really? Well, this should be interesting! I'm really looking forward to getting this now!. I saw this and figured that it just HAD to be 14K. I didn't know if they ever made the multi color cases with a gold filled base. I guess we'll see when it comes in!
Thanks, Bila

IHC Member 1555
posted
I have had a half dozen or so cases here Edward in multi colours and they were all gold filled. Let me know when you receive it. It is always better in hand for a close inspection, but that Wadsworth trademark of W.W.C.Co in that style is for the 25 year gold filled by all my books. Hopefully we might get a surpriseSmile

posted
Wow, Bila, really? Well, I'll be darned. Here's where my continued inexperience keeps showing. I had no idea. I just never expected multi-colored overlays to be put on a gold filled case. So, I'm sure you're correct and I probably paid a little more than I otherwise would have. Oh, well. Live and learn. It's still a really nice looking case and we'll see what happens when it comes in.
Thanks for the info, Bila!

IHC Member 1555
posted
It is still a great looking case as you say Edward regardless of what its composition isSmile

posted
I would love to have that case if my name were Sam! Wink

Posts: 156 | Location: Columbus, Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 16, 2011
posted
I'm baaaaack!
The watch is in hand so now it's time to figure out just what I have. I'll put up some pics for reference. The watch itself is a 0s Elgin, #6899396. The case, as noted before, is what I'm most interested in. The image above is the back of the case. The only marking there is the case number. Here is the front of the case.

posted
What surprised me is that the Wadsworth logo is inside the front of the case. This isn't a great picture, but it does show that there are no other marks besides logo and case number.

posted
Here's the open case showing the logo.

posted
The only mark inside the back of the case are the case number and the words, "PAT. APPL'D FOR". Again, not the greatest picture, but you can read it, so I guess that's the most important part.

posted
Since I'm still a newby in this area, any ideas what I can do to figure out what this is or are you guys pretty convinced that it's a 25 year case? Thanks again for any thoughts or assistance!

IHC Member 1357
posted
25 year gold filled. Look on page 37 of the Price Guide

Roger

Posts: 4092 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
posted
Thanks for that Roger. I guess that I'm just confused by a couple of things. First, unless I have an older book, I don't see a mark that is just the combined letters. What I see on page 37 actually says "Wadsworth" with "Trade" on the left and "Mark" on the right. Which, again unless I'm mistaken, looks exactly like the solid gold mark on page 35. I'm sure you guys are right, I just want to make sure that I'm seeing the same things that you guys are and that I'm not completely crazy! Thanks again.

posted
Ok Edward here's proof it's gold filled. I have a case with the same trademark right here. I had to bust out the microscope to find brassing, but I found it.

First here's the case. Stunning 6 size high relief.

Posts: 90 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2019
posted
Trademark

Posts: 90 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: December 07, 2019
posted
Brassing on pendant. Sorry I'm having huge problems uploading pictures, it seems the files have to be outrageously small. My camera photos are no where near able to be uploaded.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Rick,

Extremely large images cannot be viewed by those with slower internet connections or smaller screens.

Due to those considerations and to avoid overloading storage capacity our system is set up to not accept poster size images.

In this link titled "HELP IN POSTING IMAGES FOR HOSTING ON OUR IHC185 DISCUSSION SITE" I have posted that information.

>> Proper size: 640 X 480 Pixels
>> Resolution: approximately 72 Pixels/Inch

Posts: 5224 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Debbie,

Thank you for the links. Im not a computer wizard by any means. Last night after fooling around on the phone with that pendant photo trying to get it uploaded, I did run across this program called "Lit Photo". After some experimenting it made this picture, which was originally 2448x3264 and almost 2 MB into what you see below. 480x640. 56kb.

I don't know how it works... But mission accomplished when I read your link above and it gave the proper ratio. I wanted to upload this one here to show a gold filled case with multi colored gold on top, and I haven't been able to untill now, so thanks!

Its not hard to resize the photos. Just something I've never seen or done before, and didn't understand what was happening.

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Rick,

Glad you were able to downsize and post in this topic.

Thanks for the downsizing information - I added to my link above.

Posts: 5224 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002