Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Box Hinge question "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I recently picked up a very nice box hinge case and would like to pick your brains as to what movement to put into it (a Hamilton 925 or Illinois convertable). Was there any rhyme or reason as to what type of movements people placed into these nice cases. Just curious Big Grin

I had to attach a pic also .. This is my first Hunter case for a watch other than a 0 size..

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
it would be best if you could determine the make of movement that was in the case before......

the 'fingerprint' left by the previous case screw marks... (if only one set).....

The screw retention on the stem indicates a early case, imho..... before "about" 1905 or so..... jmho....

Picture of R. J. Lucke
posted
I agree with Terry, make sure the case screws align with any marks in the case.

Rhett Lucke

Posts: 229 | Location: Nebraska in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Bruce,
I don't know a thing about movements, but I sure know that you have ONE BEAUTIFUL CASE there. I love the details. Nice buy!
Wink

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Sheila's right, it sure is a beauty...

But first, listen to Terry and Rhett, that's sound advice. This one should if at all possible house the same make that originally came in it. Consider also the era the case is from when choosing an appropriate movement.

Could we see the case-screw marks?

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
The lower case screw mark is not present. There are two upper marks at about the 10 and 11 area.

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
This is great, I'm learning all the time here, and since I have new case buys too, this is going to help me a lot.

Thank you for this post, every bit of information sure helps.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004