• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham railroader "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently inherited a Waltham "Railroader" with a movement serial number of 10018014.
It also has eight, hand inscribed, groups of numbers and letters on the inside of the rear cover that I assume belong to a watchmaker who serviced it.
Please feel free educate me. I have shed all my knowledge already in these short sentences.
Thank you for the fantastic resource!!
john

Posts: 5 | Location: Alaska in the USA | Registered: June 18, 2013
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
John, here is what the database says about your watch and yes those would be service marks on the inside of the case.
The following is a link to a thread that has some discussion on the model 1892 Railroader:

Waltham 1892 "Railroader"

This is a link to the database:

Pocket Watch Serial Number Database

It looks like there were only 260 of these watches made between 1896 and 1900 so it is quite rare. This is in the "Grade Railroader Details" tab.

EDIT It appears the database is wrong. It should read 360 total if for all Grade Railroader watches regardless of model or 50 total if just for the model 1899

You will get a lot more comments if you are able to provide some pictures.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
The Waltham database shows that this sn is a model 1899 railroader grade. The total quantity produced was 50 in one run. The 260 quantity was for the model 1892 railroader.

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Member 1541
posted
The more I read the more I realize how little I know.

The Fat Book shows a model 1888 as a Railroader and the model 1899 as a Roadmaster so I am just going to go to bed and let the people who know more sort it out.

posted
here are some photos

face

posted
movement photo

movement

posted
Lorne, that same Waltham database does show both an 1888 Railroader and a 1899 Roadmaster with only 50 of each of those produced also.

Bob

Posts: 346 | Location: Woodland Hills, California in the USA | Registered: January 07, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
WOW! That off-center circular damaskeening pattern blows my mind, it looks like a Ball watch from the Twilight Zone! :Eek Big Grin

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1541
posted
Robert, I see where you got your info now, so there are:

50 1888 Railroader
50 1899 Railroader
260 1892 Railroader

Which makes this watch even more rare. Now what about the dial? Is there any info that states these all left the factory with Railroader dials?

posted
This is fascinating. I asked my mother if she knew any history about this time piece. She does not recall seeing it ever. I would like to have it serviced. Can anyone suggest a reputable watch smith that I can trust? Few options in Alaska.
All of your expertise and interest is invaluable. Thank you

IHC Member 1541
posted
John, there are some members here who would do the work Members Business Directory

When you select someone just click on their name on the left then click on user profile for an email address.

posted
Thank you for that information. Makes sense that the pros would be here.

posted
I have a model 1888 17J OF/PS watch with diamond cap jewels, gold jewel settings, with this same Railroader/Roadmaster damaskeening but is marked on the train bridge, in gothic script, "Oregon Short Line". It dates to the late 1890s. I know the O.S.L. was a part of the Union Pacific, but I can't otherwise find any information on this watch.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004