Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Storage of movements "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 3097
posted
I’m starting to acquire a decent number of movements. My thinking was that they should all be kept in airtight-ish containers with silica packets or similar except when I’m actively carrying/wearing them. My tentative plan was a DeWalt stackable storage container which snaps down closed but probably isn’t fully airtight.

However, searching the back archives it seems like most people leave everything out in the open as opposed to sealed up. Am I overthinking it? Smile If not, what are folks using in 2024 to store “extra” movements?

Posts: 7 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2024
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Hello Tony,

Both Lindell and I store our watches in boxes like these. Lindell uses small "PostIt Notes" detailing the movement numbers and other important information to go in the individual section along with the pocket watch.

You can buy various ones on Amazon

Hope this helps,

Debbie

Posts: 5220 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 3097
posted
This is perfect, thanks. I'd seen quite a few like this but I was worried that they might not be sufficiently climate-controllable. If y'all are storing them this way, I feel much more comfortable.

Posts: 7 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2024
IHC Member 2030
posted
Good question Tony, welcome to the club.
See photo, I store in the wood box with glass cover, but there are plastic tackle box storage that appear more waterproof.
All that said, exposure to dust is part of being a
Awatch. If you get a freshly seviced watch you may want to preserve it to prolong service interval.
Surely some of of my collection have not been serviced for decades but I like them all.
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015