Internet Horology Club 185
Storage of movements

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/7603959897

March 08, 2024, 16:06
Tony Hagale
Storage of movements
I’m starting to acquire a decent number of movements. My thinking was that they should all be kept in airtight-ish containers with silica packets or similar except when I’m actively carrying/wearing them. My tentative plan was a DeWalt stackable storage container which snaps down closed but probably isn’t fully airtight.

However, searching the back archives it seems like most people leave everything out in the open as opposed to sealed up. Am I overthinking it? Smile If not, what are folks using in 2024 to store “extra” movements?
March 09, 2024, 08:00
Dr. Debbie Irvine

Hello Tony,

Both Lindell and I store our watches in boxes like these. Lindell uses small "PostIt Notes" detailing the movement numbers and other important information to go in the individual section along with the pocket watch.

You can buy various ones on Amazon

Hope this helps,

Debbie

March 09, 2024, 15:41
Tony Hagale
This is perfect, thanks. I'd seen quite a few like this but I was worried that they might not be sufficiently climate-controllable. If y'all are storing them this way, I feel much more comfortable.
March 09, 2024, 16:59
Mike Benda
Good question Tony, welcome to the club.
See photo, I store in the wood box with glass cover, but there are plastic tackle box storage that appear more waterproof.
All that said, exposure to dust is part of being a
Awatch. If you get a freshly seviced watch you may want to preserve it to prolong service interval.
Surely some of of my collection have not been serviced for decades but I like them all.
Mike