Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

973 Hamilton 5 position questions "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
I recently aquired this 973 which is a positive pendant set, older model SN 335806. My question is regarding the 5 position adjust marking. My understanding is that they produced approx. 10,000 units of the 973, but, only around 3600 were marked 5 adjusts. I'll post this photo and someone will know for sure. This watch needs a good cleaning, but it does run pretty well now and I think it belongs in my collection next to the other two UNMARKED very early SNs. What say you?

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Mike,

The watch you are asking about number 335806 is a Grade 973 shown on the Gelson List as from 1905-1907 production. Your Grade 973 is the Hunter version of the 972 movement. All of the 972 and 973 are Railroad Grade 5-Position movements, but beginning in 1906 many Railroads no longer approved Pendant Set to enter Time Service and Hunters were being frowned on. In that same 1906 time-frame Grade Markings were becoming a requirement as well hence the marking you find on this one but not on your earlier examples.

By the way, according to Hamilton records there were approximately 6,000 total Pendant-Set versions of the 973 and about 3,600 of Lever-Set 973 movements produced. In my opinion this is an example would fit neatly into your collection and therefore is very much worthy of preservation.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Mike i liked your question as to whether it belongs in your collection. Although I am primarily a Hampden collector I always think that if a watch catches my interest and is affordable it might be fun to study and just enjoy. I tend to service most watches I acquire and on a number I enjoy the watch and study its history and then trade or sell it so I can have more fun with another watch. I cannot afford to enjoy the hobby without doing that and I feel I acquire knowledge that way and hopefully break even.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks to both Lin and Deacon. I now see the 973 is still in the "single roller" configuration. I do like the marking and will clean and keep-for a while. Deacon, I too enjoy and then sell, so I can buy! The bulk of my watches are in my bank in Oregon so I have few here to enjoy. I really asked the question as to keeping with my wife's tongue in my cheek!

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Mike I have 2 Hamilton 973's. Both are marker 5 position and both are lever set. Serial numbers 365XXX and 776XXX.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Harry and Mike --

I located a marked Hamilton 973 very recently with a later s#763562. It was a target, thanks to Lindell's info, because it is an RR-grade five-position, lever-set version.
But I have a question for the purists: One longtime watchmaker told me it was OK to take a razor blade to a worn crown to bring it back? Is that OK or balderdash?

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
Picture of Ken Habeeb
posted
Good case but worn crown..

Posts: 921 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: March 25, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
I would use a screw head file. A razor blade would be dangerous.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice 973, Mike.Is that a detent-stem ? I see an arrow near an extra hole by the crown wheel, never seen that before....Regards, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1016
posted
Yes, Ted. It is a detent, or positive pendant set, mechanism.