• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question about Movement - "Click" to Login or Register 

posted
the book states this a "PS Bartlett"; however, it is not stamped on the movement as such. Was this common practice?

Did Waltham have many runs of this type of detail on the back movement plates? Seems like it would have been alot of work back then for just a 15j movement.

Serial # 4461552

Also, it states the following "Ch SW OF nickel PS P Reg BH"

Looks like there were 1000 in this run of production in 1890.

Any help would be appreciated

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
posted
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...86009181/m/844104342

MANY TIMES WHEN YOU RUN WALTHAM NUMBERS YOU GET xxxxx GRADE, WHETHER IT IS PS BARTLETT, WM ELLERY, STERLING ETC... I SEE IT ALL THE TIME.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
Jon-

sometime the records are incorrect OR the run was actually split up into other runs also. South bend on more than one occasion made upjeweled movements of watches in different runs and made hunting and open faces grades in the same runs.

Thanks,

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009

posted
So, this is NOT a PS Bartlett 15j movement?

In the Swigart book it shows the first 1883 starting with movement # 2,354,001

posted
Jon-

No, it isn't. It is just a waltham 1883 model. It would be marked PS Bartlett if it were. It is a nice patternon the plates. It would probably bring more than a PS Bartlett one would anyways.

Jared

posted
Jared -

This is the 1st Waltham I have run across with this pattern and was trying to figure out a ballpark value for it. Any thougths?

Here is the dial...

Seems to running well on my desk

posted
Jon-

movement only with dial, I would say around $50-$75. 1883's just don't have a good folowing unless they are something scrace and railroad related such as railroad king, CPR, etc. I think they just made too many of them and almost all were lower jewel count. I sold the last PS Bartlett movement and dial I had for around $35 with nickle plates. I had no problem witht he price because I typically only get around $75 for them cased in a silveroid case anymore on ebay and I have no extra cases at the moment to be putting movements in.

Jared

posted
Jared -

Trying to weed out some of these 18s Waltham and Elgins. You are correct there are many of them out there.

Your 50-75 range was my thougths too

Thanks

Still wanna trade me that BUNN?

posted
Jon-

What do you have for good 18s hunting cases? could still use a couple over here! Buster had to step in and buy the really nice one you had. I think my 312 SB would have looked really nice in it! Big Grin

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I agree with Jared, too many and not particularly valuable but the pattern is a real eye catcher. I believe that pattern also shows up marked non magnetic.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jon, this watch is very nice!

My Walthem production record shows s/n 4461001-4462000 are 18s, Stem Wind, Pendant setting Model 1883, Grade No. 15, 15 Jewels, "A" grade material (probably 3 position adjusted) with a Patent Regulator, and Breguet Hairspring.

The P.S.B. models were produced in the 1000 pieces preceding production of your grade 15 and are about the same excepting they were Hunter Movements and Lever Setting.

Your unique plate finish is very well done Damaskeeening over acid etch which was referred to as "frosted finish". Given the hands, the very nice Hard Enamel/Glass dial and the fact that it is an open face movement, I would start looking for a nice long stem 1890's vintage open face case. You have a great "carry piece" of significant value when cased.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007

posted
Thanks for the data - Sir...

Spot on again - my friend!

IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I have one of these with this design listed in a hunting case if anyone is interested.

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006