Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Howard casing answer "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
I'm sure many of you have read the NAWCC message board thread about recasing/switching, over 350 replies and 12000+ views, it is a sensitive issue especially when it concerns early Howards. Here is my cure for the un-cased or improperly cased Howard that comes into my possession. I have been making my own movement holders machined out of aluminum and fitted with two and one/eight inch domed glass crystals. Total investment not counting my time, less than $5.00 each. My movements are protected, and since there's basically no empty Howard cases available, I believe it's the perfect answer to the problem.
Harold

Posts: 352 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Howard,
Nice work.
I went out this week and worked on sorting probably 500-700 movements this week. There were a few Howards in the bunch along with a plethera of others. The person understood that the early E. Howards were valuable but did not realize that without a case value is impacted. I will be seeing this person again to sort more watches. Can you give me an idea of a general percentage of value with and without the proper case? I realize this is a tall order but I dont do alot with the Howards and need to know.
Thanks,

Aaron Bereiter

Posts: 945 | Location: Geneva, Illinois in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Aaron, For a rough ballpark estimate, a common Howard movement only, as opposed to a gold or silver properly cased Howard watch, you're looking at a factor of roughly ten to one, i.e. a $100 movement would be worth about ten times that amount properly cased. Keep in mind that there are many other factors that can effect the value greatly either way.

Harold

posted
Harold,
Great display case! I too would be into buying a few of these if you should decide to sell them. Nice work.
B

Posts: 97 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: December 21, 2002
IHC Member 179
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Harold Visser
posted
Guys, having been the owner of a mini-lathe for a total of three weeks, with no prior machining experience, I can tell you I have great respect for the old casemakers of 120+ years ago!! Material costs hardly nothing, my time going through the learning curve, to make these, probably 4+ hours each. I'm still working on getting some bugs out but will consider making a few in the future for material and postage costs, but my machining skills have to improve a bit first!! Smile
Harold

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted
Harold,

I am in complete agreement with the others who have posted before me. That looks like time consuming high precision work, but there would surely be a market for your beautiful Howard movement cases. It's a great Idea!

Dr. Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5201 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
E. Howard Expert
Picture of Dr. Clint Geller
posted
Harold,

Great work. Next, how about a hole for a winding stem so you can watch the stemwind movements run? I know, that would allow some dust in. That's the trade-off, I guess.

Clint Geller

Posts: 219 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 10, 2003