Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Crescent SwingRing Watch Case - The "Trick" "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Chris Schirren
posted
Hi, in case I am not the only one who had to learn the hard way (until 1:30AM this morning that was...) here is some valuable info:
I recently bought that case, the swing ring would not open completetly, the winding stem was in the way. The guy who sold it (on eBay) does a lot of watches, so I thought he would know but upon asking, he could not really help even though he tried. The trouble with old pieces sometimes is, you never know whether it is original or whether it has been modified by someone who would be better off not to touch anything... That's why it took me a little longer and this is the "Trick". Even though for lever set, the crown has two positions. Pulling the crown out (and you really have to pull!) allows for the ring (with movement) to swing out, pushing the crown in allows to set and wind the watch. Totally simple actually, once you know...

Chris.

Posts: 58 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: September 02, 2005
posted
Thanks for the posting... often us 'experienced' folks will overlook some things we know, and have learnd... and take for granted...

These cases have excellent dust protection for the movements, but have caused many a dial harm ...chips, cracks... snagging hands.... not the best for "showing off" a BeUtiful movement....

point is... handle carefully.... Wink

another tip.... giving the crown a rotation while pulling up can make some of the stubborn ones 'easier'...

IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
However you slice it, knowledge is the key Chris! That's what's so great about Chapter 185. All you have to do is ask your questions, and they will be answered.

Perhaps a "Pocket Watches 101 -- Basic Mechanics" reference section would be a worthwhile addition to the IHC website, under the technical library. How to open, wind, and set different types of pocket watches, as well as the basics of changing cases, dials, and hands could be illustrated and explained clearly for the benefit of all. I am sure most of this information is already available on the website, scattered around in different places.

Swing ring cases can be balky and prone to damage in the hands of the unknowing. On an even more basic level, far more damage can be done by someone trying to unscrew a hinged case, pry open a screwed case, or pry off hands, dials, etc.

You would think that the presence of thumb tabs and hinge pins on a hinged case and the lack thereof on a screwed case would be an easy enough distinction to make, but apparently not for some!

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Ed, You are correct that what we already know should be self evident to a novice, but we all know that it isn't. We who delve into watches, generally, have some mechanical knowledge or inclination. There are people out there that can't change a lightbulb let alone open a watch case correctly.

In collecting I have seen a good number of lever set watches where the crown/stem is broken off. Years ago, I was buying a watch like this at a yard sale. When I asked what happened to the crown, the guy replied that the thing on top wouldn't come out to set the hands, and it broke off when he pried it up with a screwdriver. Duh!!!

What we know, we can never take for granted that others will automatically know.

Tom

posted
Chris,
I want to congratulate you for taking your time and figuring it out. More than half of the public would have broken off the stem. I replaced many stems on swing out cases because people are not careful in closing the ring while turning the stem so it will mesh together or they will pry up the swing ring without pulling the stem all the way up out of the way.

We can do more about cases but to cover a few, watch out for cheaper cases that have a screw back or a hinged back but a pry off front.

How about invisible hinge cases? OK, They are fairly rare.

A pry or pop off front and back.

And a Muckle case?

Picture of Jim Hathaway
posted
Too bad I didn't read Chris' post on the swingout before I messed it up enough that I am mailing it to David Coatsworth tomorrow to fix it for me.

I also tried to set a lever set by pulling on the pendent. Live and learn; it has been expensive.

At least the swing out is repairable and I really like that big old Waltham 18S 1883 model.

BTW; it was David who reminded me to read Chris' post.

Jim Hathaway
IHC Member #285

Posts: 473 | Location: Apache Junction, Arizona USA | Registered: September 17, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Excellent points,

I recall and not at all fondly how difficult it was for me to figure out these things!

Today, with IHC we can share our knowledge and help others avoid "learning the hard way" as we did.

Here are a few of John D's Award Winning Tutorials...

John D. Duvall's "HELPING HAND TUTORIALS"

Another outstanding resource is this one...

Technical Library, Serial Numbers and Site Links

Keep the great information coming!

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Chris Schirren
posted
Thanks to all for your valuable comments. It is not the perfect case to proudly show the beautiful 992 movement, but I just like the looks of it, very simple case, no engravings or the like, just beautiful (which appreciate as a matter of taste). If I would not be very careful with my Hamiltons, I would have figured out faster that crown pulls out.

I will post another picture soon for Lindell actually, who was kind enough to let me know that a Mainliner Case as well as the hands were wrong for my 1926 992 movement.

Chris.

Posts: 58 | Location: Hamburg, Germany | Registered: September 02, 2005