Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Screwdriver Set Questions "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1622
posted
What would be the best screwdriver set for working on american pocket watches? It seems a person can ruin many screwdriver tips trying to get movements loose.
Thanks for any help,
Big Grin

Posts: 177 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: October 16, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
I have used a set of Bergeon 5970 screwdrivers with stand for many years. When you decide on the screwdrivers you want, make sure to get a basic sharpener such as Bergeon 2461 as well. They also sell special stones for these but I've found that a flat piece of glass and a sheet of #600 silicone carbide paper work very well. You can find a good selection of screwdrivers and accessories HERE.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
If one is ruining a screwdriver tip, generally the wrong size is being used. Make sure the screwdriver fits into the slot of the screw and there is no wiggle room.

Watchmaker screwdriver sets can be found on the bay from $550. to $25. If one has a bench/workstation, I would recommend a set in a revolving stand with extra blades in the center black slot. A cheaper set will last the hobbyist many years. I have only one set bought 30 years ago as described above that I paid $40. for, and it will outlast me. The sizes on mine run from .60 to 3.00 and there are 9 different.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Member 1622
posted
Thanks gentlemen. Advice taken.

Posts: 177 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: October 16, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I agree, if you want to do this just one time only and leave something behind your kids will one day fight over Big Grin the Burgeon 5970 is the way to go. Mine is sitting here in front of me Cool looking very pretty.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I agree that a Burgeon set is the best. But if you are looking to see if taking apart watches is for you, one of the cheaper sets will do if you are on a budget.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I agree with Jim, that the screwdriver set is only good for holding the blades. I have found that some blued steel blades sold by CasKer are superior in holding an edge and are less expensive than the Bergeon which appear to be Stainless steel. That said, all of my benches at the shop and the house have the bergeon that is presently on sale for $99.00 in the Otto Frei link. Those also come with a spare blade or two.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007