Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin 2 tone movement "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Bought this number 19018590 from ebay last week, seller couldn't get the case back off.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
I didn't know Elgin made 2 tone movements, needs a balance staff and regulator arm, and whatever else. Comments, opinions please. By the way I paid $28 for this.
Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Interesting watch Gary,

Elgin was not big on 2-tone movements so they show up very infrequently. For example, here is a 2006 topic from Samie Smith showing the one he found at that time.

CLICK FOR: 2-Tone Elgin by Samie Smith

Interestingly, there were minor, easily repaired problems with both watches and obviously both are somewhat unusual therefore worth saving.

Congratulations!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Gary-

Beautiful find at a great price! I've wanted a 2-tome 18s elgin for a while, but they always seem to be pretty high priced.

I seem to make more off the unknown on ebay than I do the known. You can sometimes get bit too... I bought a partially running howard last week for $80 in a gold filled case that they could get the back off of. To say the least the case is getting scrapped as it is bad and the series 9 movement inside is only good for parts due to many issues. maybe next time!

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Gary nice 2-tone i really like the Elgin 2-tones i still have the 18 2-tone i bought a few years ago..

The watch can and should be fixed i both like and collect 2-tone movements. From what i see in your picture the watch should be a easy fix,,be careful cleaning 2 tone movements ,dirty cleaning soultion or too much time in a cleaning machine will destory a beautiful movement.

The way i clean them is clean all the jewels by hand then 2 mintues in both the cleaning and rinse soultion for the 2-tone bridges and balance cock,,then i run the pillar plate and train wheels etc. in a second cleaning cycle after the 2-tone plates are cleaned and dried. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
posted
Very nice two tone Elgin, the first I've seen with that type of pattern

Posts: 1499 | Location: Rancho Cucamonga, California USA | Registered: December 20, 2006
posted
Thanks to All for the replies. Can anyone give me some info as to the rarity of this watch, I've tried a google search, with no results. I am wondering about it's value. Any and all info, thoughts, opinions or otherwise appreciated.

Gary

posted
Here's a front view as received.